Barangay Upper Bicutan residents threaten to hurt social workers
The Taguig City government suspended on Tuesday the distribution of the national government’s financial assistance in Barangay Upper Bicutan after residents not on the list of beneficiaries stormed the venue and threatened to hurt social workers, according to a report by Manila Bulletin.
“To diffuse tension and restore peace, the city government has suspended today the distribution of the national government’s emergency relief assistance in Barangay Upper Bicutan. The distribution will resume as soon as the safety of the beneficiaries and the government workers is ensured,” the city government said in a statement.
Tension rose “after several persons who are not in the SAP [Social Amelioration Program] 1 and SAP 2 lists of cash aid beneficiaries stormed the venue for the distribution and threatened and attempted to hurt our social workers, security staff, and policemen,” the city said.
Videos posted on Facebook showed people crowding inside and outside the gate of Silangan Elementary School in Upper Bicutan on April 12 and demanding to be given the financial assistance.
“Hindi nyo na inisip mga tao rito kanina pang umaga dito o. Walang malasakit, walang kwenta,” an individual is heard in one video shouting at people inside the venue.
The Taguig City government said it is only following the order of the national government that “those who are in the SAP1 and SAP2 lists will be prioritized for the financial assistance from the national government. Other vulnerable groups like low-income individuals and those who are severely affected by the ECQ are to follow but subject to availability of funds.”
“The City cannot add beneficiaries to the lists without violating the prescribed rules,” it added.
According to the city government, “it understands the hardships that COVID-19 has brought upon everyone. That is why, since the lockdown started last year, the City has been extending financial assistance, food packs, and hygiene kits to various sectors, including those who are not in the SAP list of beneficiaries. Rest assured that the City will continue extending assistance for as long as its resources permit it.”
“We appeal to our residents to remain calm and to respect the rules laid down by the national government. More importantly, we appeal to our residents not to threaten or harm in any way our social workers, security staff, and policemen who are all working hard and risking their own health and safety to distribute the assistance to their fellow Taguigeños,” it added.
Taguig has been allotted a fund of P805.83 million for the financial assistance.
Do you want to learn more about the challenges and predictions for the gambling industry in the Philippines? Find all answers in this article!