Articles worth reading

Navotas prohibits minors from leaving home

account_balanceNavotas access_time4 days ago

Due to rising cases of coronavirus disease, the City Government of Navotas Sunday announced that it would enforce anew the 24-hour curfew for minors. Mayor Toby Tiangco cited a July 17 COVIDKAYA report stating that Navotas posted a 105.06 percent&nb...

Groups raise concern on toxic hzards from plastic waste management schemes 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Environmental health groups EcoWaste Coalition, Interfacing Development Interventions for Sustainability (IDIS) and Mother Earth Foundation (MEF) have echoed the urgency of limiting the manufacture of plastic to essential uses and eliminating toxic c...

Navotas administers vaccines on 747 PDLs

account_balanceNavotas access_time4 days ago

Persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) at Navotas City Jail received their first dose of Sputnik vaccine Monday. The City Government of Navotas inoculated 747 PDLs against Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). “PDLs are at high risk of contracting...

Metro News

PNP prepares information drive on body cameras 

account_balanceMetro News account_circleMalaya chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, on Sunday ordered PNP deputy chief for operations, Lt. Gen. Israel Ephraim Dickson to prepare for a massive information campaign on the use of body-worn cameras (BWCs), according to a report by Philippine News Agency.

Eleazar made the directive after the Supreme Court (SC) En Banc on Friday issued a resolution that includes the rules on the use of BWCS in the execution of warrants.

“Inatasan ko na ang ating (I ordered our) PNP Deputy Chief for Operations Police Lt. Gen. Bong Dickson na makipagugnayan sa atin legal service and human rights affair office pati na rin itong ating technical working group na ating binuo para sa ating malawakaing information drive sa aming hanay tungkol sa ipinalabas na rules on the use of body-worn cameras ng Korte Suprema (to coordinate with our legal service and human rights affair office together with our technical working group that we have created for our massive information drive in our ranks about the rules on the use of body-worn cameras released by the Supreme Court),” he said in a video message on Sunday.

Advertisement

He said the use of BWCs will soon be part of the police operational procedures throughout the country.

“Hindi pa man tuluyang maipapatupad ito sa mga susunod na araw dahil sa ating mga ginagawa proseso, nararapat lang na paghandaan na ng ating PNP ang implementasyon nito dahil ito naman ay produkto ng pagtutulungan ng Korte Supreme at PNP (Although it will not be fully implemented yet in the coming days due to our ongoing processes, our PNP should prepare for its implementation since it is a product of the cooperation between the Supreme Court and the PNP),” he said.

On Saturday, Eleazar ordered the creation of the technical working group (TWG) that will study and incorporate the rules crafted by the SC into the police guidelines on the use of BWCs.

Eleazar thanked Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo for supporting the PNP’s efforts to further professionalize the organization and to strengthen a human rights-based approach in the conduct of police operations.

The Directorate for Operations and the Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management (DIDM) were tasked to come up with a recommendation on the composition of the TWG.

The TWG was also instructed to come up with modules that will be used in the training and seminar programs on all the legal aspect of the use of BWCs to the police units which received the units last month.

The PNP launched the body-worn camera system on June 4 to ensure transparency and legitimacy of law-enforcement operations. Initially, a total of 2,696 body cameras have been distributed to 171 police stations and offices.

The SC resolution issued last Friday was based on the request of assistance of the PNP from the High Court which was facilitated by Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Año and Secretary of Justice Menardo Guevarra.

The SC rules include specific provisions from the issuance of the arrest and search warrants by the courts and in the service of the warrants by policemen.

The SC rules also have guidelines on the preservation of the recordings from the BWCs, the chain of custody of the video recordings and legal procedures that must be observed in accessing the BWC recordings.

“The rules on the use of the body-worn cameras crafted by the High Court are a big help to erase doubts and speculations in the conduct of our operations, especially in our aggressive campaign against illegal drugs,” Eleazar said.


date_rangeDate Published
1 week ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Photo Courtesy of PVL Media Bureau

PetroGazz wins in 2021 PVL opener

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

PetroGazz scored 25-19, 22-25, 25-20, 25-21 against Black Mamba-Army in the 2021 Premier Volleyball League (PVL) Open Conference Sunday at the  PCV Socio-Civic Cultural Center in Ilocos Norte, according to a report by GMA News. The Angels had t...

Meralco launches eCFEI 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode13 hours ago

“The process of securing a CFEI is now better and faster. It took much longer before.” Jamalia Alawiya, a resident of Manila, previously struggled in filing her CFEI. But with electronic CFEI or eCFEI, she notes the marked improvement in...

DTI expects 1 million e-commerce merchants by 2022

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is targeting to further expand the country’s e-commerce sector by 2022, with the number of merchants expanding to about a million, according to a report by GMA News. "E-commerce came to our rescu...

Pateros to provide seniors with Janssen vaccines 

account_balancePateros chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

Pateros Mayor Miguel “Ike” Ponce III has announced that the municipal government has received 800 doses of Johnson & Johnson’s single dose Janssen COVID-19 vaccine from the national government, according to a report by Manila Bu...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature