Articles worth reading
Senate Majority Leader Joel Villanueva

Senator pushes synergized action to cut unemployment

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

Senate Majority Leader Joel Villanueva wants the private sector and government agencies to put up a unified program that will generate some 1.7 million jobs annually to address the country’s unemployment woes, according to a report by Phil...

Metro News

Photo courtesy of PNP-IMEG

2 suspects in e-sabong issue surrender 

account_balanceMetro News account_circleMichael Lim chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Two former cops who were implicated in the kidnapping of a master agent of online cockfighting in Laguna when they were still in the service, have surrendered to members of the Philippine National Police's (PNP) anti-scalawag unit, a police official said in a report by Philippine News Agency.

Brig. Gen. Warren de Leon, chief of the Integrity Monitoring and Enforcement Group (IMEG), identified the two former cops as Rigel Brosas and Daryl Paghangaan, who were convinced to surrender after a series of negotiations on Thursday.

“After (a) series of negotiations, our Team 4A (Calabarzon) have convinced these two former PNP personnel to surrender and stop putting the image of the PNP in a bad light,” de Leon said in a statement.

Advertisement

He said Brosas surrendered at the Rizal municipal police station at 2:45 p.m. on Jan. 19, while Paghangaan surrendered five hours later at the Liliw municipal police station in Laguna.

The two, along with then patrolman Roy Navarrete, were charged with robbery and kidnapping with serious illegal detention.

Brosas, then a patrolman, and Paghangaan, then a staff sergeant, were among those who allegedly pretended to be agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) when they took Ricardo Lasco from his house in San Pablo City in Laguna on Aug. 30, 2021.

They were also accused of taking cash and other valuable personal belongings inside Lasco's house.

The arrested suspects were two of the three subjects of a warrant of arrest dated Jan. 17, 2023, issued by Presiding Judge Luvida Padolina Roque of the Regional Trial Court Branch 29 in San Pablo City Laguna, for the crime of robbery (with recommended bail set at PHP400,000 each); and kidnapping and serious illegal detention (with no bail recommended).

PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo said Brosas and Paghangaaan, as well as Navarrete, were dismissed from the service last year after they were linked to Lasco’s kidnapping.

“Ngayon na sila ay sumuko ay inaasahan natin na sila ay makikipag-cooperate at ibubunyag nila kung ano man yung nalalaman nila dito sa ginawang pagdukot kay Mr. Lasco (Now that they have surrendered, we expect them to cooperate and disclose whatever they know about the abduction of Mr. Lasco),” Fajardo said in radio interview on Saturday.

The case of Lasco is one of eight cases being handled by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Special Investigation Task Group “Sabungero”, which took the case for further investigation after the complaint for kidnapping filed by the victim’s family before the San Pablo City, Laguna prosecutor's office was dismissed.

Lasco is still considered "missing" and the CIDG is probing the cases involving the disappearance of 34 other e-sabong enthusiasts since 2020.

To date, the CIDG has filed cases against at least 15 personalities in connection with the missing e-sabong aficionados.


date_rangeDate Published
1 week ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Fortinet named visionary in 2022 Gartner Magic Quadrant

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

Fortinet® (NASDAQ: FTNT), a global leader in broad, integrated and automated cybersecurity solutions, today announced that it has been named a Visionary in the 2022 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Enterprise Wired and Wireless LAN Inf...

Photo courtesy of: AFP

Defense chief wants to enhance disaster response 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. on Monday cited the urgent need to further boost the country's disaster response capabilities to mitigate the effects of climate change, according to a report by Philippine Ne...

Photo courtesy of: PBBM Facebook Page

Solon justifies speaker's participation in Marcos foreign trips

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

Deputy Speaker and Pampanga 3rd District Rep. Aurelio “Dong” Gonzales Jr. on Monday said there is nothing wrong with Speaker Martin Romualdez joining President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s foreign trips, including the World Economic Fo...

Cebuana Lhuillier President and CEO Jean Henri Lhuillier

PJ Lhuillier signs partnership with DTI 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

PJ Lhuillier, Inc. (PJLI), the parent company of the Philippines’ largest microfinancial services provider, Cebuana Lhuillier, has recently inked a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Regional Operations ...

×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature