PBA proposes salary cut for players, coaches
The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) proposed a salary cut to PBA employees, players, coaches, managers, and other team personnel as a way of giving back to “the team owners who supported the league for 16 months”, according to a report by Philippine News Agency.
“They helped us: no salary adjustments, all players were protected. Let's show to the team owners and governors that this is our way to help," PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said in Filipino during a virtual press conference held on Tuesday.
Marcial said the salary adjustments will be implemented in the league's office by their next cut-off on April 25. For players, coaches, and the other people affected, their adjustment will start in May. Excluded from the salary cut are utility personnel.
Salaries will return to normal once scrimmages return.
The commissioner said that prior to making the announcement public, he had already spoke to the coaches, team captains, and team managers about it.
"I explained to them my recommendation. If they have questions, ask me. This is my decision and recommendation. As I say, we have a pandemic now, I hope they will understand."
PBA board vice-chairman Bobby Rosales said they appreciated the league's recommendation to make the salary adjustments.
"The salary cut was one of the measures presented by the commissioner under the leadership of the PBA. The board in unison appreciated the sacrifice made by the commissioner and the staff. The commissioner is also just exercising prudence because of the uncertainty on when we can possibly open the season," Rosales said.
The league was supposed to open its 46th season this April.
However, with the coronavirus situation in the country still not allowing for conducting of team sports in places under the modified enhanced community quarantine, they said the league's priority is to vaccinate its people before anything else.
Pasay City has established booths in five malls for easy application of safety seal certification of businesses in the city, according to a report by Manila Bulletin. Mitch Pardo, officer-in-charge of Business Permit and Licensing Office (BPLO), sai...
The Department of Health has not released 370 respirators to hospitals nationwide despite the surge in Covid 19 cases simply because they came from the tobacco industry, the House Committee on Good Government learned today. Deputy Speaker Rufus Rodr...
President Rodrigo Duterte is set to receive his second dose of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccine developed by China’s state-owned pharmaceutical firm Sinopharm, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. This developed afte...
Do you want to learn more about the challenges and predictions for the gambling industry in the Philippines? Find all answers in this article!