Do you know 'rizz'? It is Oxford's 2023 word of the year
The Gen Z slang term "rizz," which means "style, charm, or attractiveness," has been chosen as Oxford's word of the year for 2023.
Oxford University Press, the world's second-oldest academic press and the publisher of the Oxford English Dictionary, also defined the term as the "ability to attract a romantic or sexual partner."
The publisher noted that "rizz" is a shortened form of the word "charisma."
"Use of the word as recorded in our corpus has increased dramatically in 2023, with a peak in June 2023, when actor Tom Holland was asked in a widely-reported interview about his 'rizz,' to which he answered, 'I have no rizz whatsoever, I have limited rizz,'" the publisher said through a statement.
It is the second consecutive year that the public has played a part in picking Oxford's word of the year. They chose the term "goblin mode" in 2022.
The other words that stood out were the following:
- "prompt" - an instruction given to an artificial intelligence program, or algorithm which determines or influences the content it generates
- "situationship" - refers to a romantic or sexual relationship that is not considered to be formal or established
- "Swiftie" - refers to an enthusiastic fan of the singer Taylor Swift
- "beige flag" - a character trait indicating that a partner or potential partner is boring
- "de-influencing" - refers to the practice of discouraging people from buying particular products, or encouraging people to reduce their consumption of material goods, especially via social media
- "parasocial" - used to describe a relationship characterized by the one-sided, unreciprocated sense of intimacy felt by a viewer, fan, or follower for a well-known or prominent figure (typically a media celebrity), in which the follower or fan comes to feel (falsely) that they know the celebrity as a friend
Results were mixed during Monday's Treasury bills (T-bills) auction as the Bureau of the Treasury (BTr) fully awarded bids for the 91- and 364-day T-bills while partially awarding the 182-day securities, according to a report by Philippine N...
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is set to leave for Australia next week to participate in the ASEAN-Australia Special Summit, which is expected to pave the way for the Philippines to present its core position on regional and international issues. ...
Sustained construction on the next phase of the Pasig River Urban Development Project would interconnect the showcase area at the back of the Manila Central Post Office with the walled city of Intramuros, according to a report by Philippine News Agen...
The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Friday warned the public against misinformation on the hiring of beneficiaries under its Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) Program. In a social media post, the DOL...