Articles worth reading
Photo courtesy of: K R De Asis/MPIO

Manila recognizes medical workers on Bonifacio Day 

account_balanceManila access_time5 days ago

The city government of Manila paid tribute to medical workers during the celebration of Andres Bonifacio’s 158th birth anniversary at Liwasang Bonifacio on Tuesday, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. The city again called me...

Return of face shield policy opposed

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

A leader of the House of Representatives on Tuesday said the government should implement strict border control measures instead of re-imposing the mandatory wearing of face shields to directly address the spread of the new Omicron variant of Covid-19...

LGUs have power over mandatory vaccination

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

Local government units (LGUs) have the authority to impose mandatory inoculation against Covid-19 and eliminate hesitancy and brand preference, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. Department of the Interior and Local Government (DI...

Metro News

Deparment of Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra

New PNP chief to be appointed next month

account_balanceMetro News account_circleRyan Chua chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to go after law enforcers who violated procedures during anti-illegal drug operations will extend to whoever will be at helm of the Philippine National Police (PNP), according to a report by Philippine News Agency.

Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Tuesday he expects the successor of PNP chief, Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, will strictly comply with the President’s directive.

“The President has a standing order to the DOJ and the PNP to review the conduct of the drug war and to impose sanctions upon those who went beyond the bounds of the law,” Guevarra told reporters via text message.

Eleazar will reach the mandatory retirement age of 56 on November 13 after serving six months as PNP chief.

Guevarra expects the Memorandum of Agreement between the National Bureau of Investigation and the PNP on joint probes of drug war deaths will be signed before Eleazar steps down.

The DOJ last week released information on the initial batch of 52 cases it is reviewing as part of the government’s policy of transparency on the anti-illegal drugs campaign and to assure the victims’ kin and loved ones that the deaths are being investigated.

The matrix included docket numbers, names of the deceased, places and dates of the incidents, and the review panel’s summary of observations.

The most number of deaths in a single incident was during an operation in Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte on July 29, 2016 when three died.

The DOJ review panel noted that according to the medico-legal report, the victims appeared to have been shot at close range.

The PNP Internal Affairs Service has ordered the dismissal from the service of those involved.


date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Parañaque bettor wins P162-million lotto jackpot

account_balanceParañaque chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

A ticket sold in Parañaque City bagged the P162-million jackpot prize draw of the 6/55 Grand Lotto on Monday night, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. In an advisory on Tuesday, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PC...

QC reports decline in Covid-19 numbers

account_balanceQuezon City chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

The Quezon City government has thanked healthcare workers and constituents as figures of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) indicators in the city hit an all-time low, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. In a Facebook post on Wedn...

EcoWaste bats for national firecracker ban 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

The EcoWaste Coalition highlighted the need to impose a nationwide ban on firecrackers as an essential measure to keep Filipinos safe from injuries and pollutants, as well as to discourage mass gatherings amid the looming threat of Omicron COVID-19 v...

True love transcends romance in John Lloyd-Bea film 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

Many people are looking for the one and a love that lasts and while many have been fortunate to find it and keep it, many are still searching for that person, or what the one means to them. In Jollibee Studios’ newest 30-min...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature