Articles worth reading

Pag-IBIG Fund members save P52 billion

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Pag-IBIG Fund members have saved more than PHP52 billion in the last 10 months, breaking yet another record for the period and exceeding full-year figures from before the pandemic, top agency officials said in a report by Philippine News Agency. Fro...

SOPA IMAGES/LIGHTROCKET VIA GETTY IMAGES

Google to block political ads for 2022 elections

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Wednesday said an online search engine will not accept political advertisements during the campaign period for the country's elections that begins in February next year,  according to a report by...

Photo Courtesy of University of the Philippines Los Ba%uFFFDos

1.83 million college students receive vaccines

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

A total of 1,839,846 college students have been vaccinated against Covid-19 so far, Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Chair J. Prospero de Vera III said in a report by Philippine News Agency. In an online media briefing, de Vera said the figure ...

Metro News

Acting Presidential Spokesperson Karlo Nograles

ICC asks government for 'substantiating information'

account_balanceMetro News account_circleSarah Lim chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

The request of the International Criminal Court (ICC) for proof from the Duterte administration regarding its probe into deaths linked to the Philippine government’s drug war “validates” ICC mandate as a “court of last resort”, Malacañang said Wednesday.

This, after ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan said his office will ask the Philippine government to provide “substantiating information” on proceedings it cited when the latter sought deferral of the investigation into alleged crimes against humanity related to the administration’s anti-illegal drugs campaign.

Cabinet Secretary and Acting Presidential Spokesperson Karlo Nograles said the Palace has yet to receive a formal request from the ICC.

He also reiterated the Palace position that the ICC has no jurisdiction to probe the administration’s crackdown on illegal drugs because Philippine judicial processes are working.

“Clearly, the ICC prosecutor’s request for information is an acknowledgment that alleged victims can seek redress in Philippine legal institutions because these are independent, impartial, and competent,” he said.

Nograles cited the ICC mandate that seeks to complement, not replace, national courts.

“This validates our earlier position that the ICC is the court of last resort, one that can be utilized when a State Party is unwilling to investigate and prosecute those who violate its laws; this is simply not the case in the Philippines,” he added.

Since the Philippine judicial processes are working, Nograles said this demonstrates that there is no culture of impunity in the country.

“Our criminal justice system continues to be capable and functional, and a case in point is the signing of the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation of an agreement to conduct cooperative investigations––evidence that a culture of impunity does not exist in our country as local institutions have demonstrated their commitment to accountability,” he said.

On November 3, the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) to probe and prosecute alleged human rights violations, particularly the death of suspects in the conduct of drug war operations.

The MOA “will provide the legal framework to both the NBI and the PNP for the speedy and thorough resolution of these and future cases, and affirms the Philippine Government’s commitment to conquer impunity and prevent excesses in law enforcement operations,” the Department of Justice (DOJ) said in a statement.

In a letter to Khan dated November 10, the Philippines asked the ICC to defer its investigation into the drug war arguing that it is already looking into alleged human rights abuses in the course of the drug war.

The ICC later suspended its investigation into the administration's drug war with a reservation that it will proceed in the coming days upon assessment of the "scope and effect" of the request to defer the probe.

President Rodrigo Duterte formally withdrew the Philippines’ membership from the ICC on March 17, 2019, or exactly a year after it revoked the Rome Statute that created the international tribunal, noting that the Hague-based court has no jurisdiction to indict him.


date_rangeDate Published
1 week ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Japanese investors share investment plans for PH

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 hour ago

During the recently concluded Virtual Economic Briefing, conducted by the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo and the ASEAN Japan Centre, Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), between the Philippines and Japan, Japanese investors and economic managers shar...

DOJ indicts 17 policemen over March operations

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday said it will fully cooperate with state prosecutors in the proceedings against the 17 police officers implicated in the so-called "Bloody Sunday" operations that resulted in the death of six ...

Navotas declares tax amnesty

account_balanceNavotas chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

Mayor Toby Tiangco Thursday signed City Ordinance No. 2021-62 or the General Pandemic Amnesty Program. Under the ordinance, penalties, interests, surcharges and any other additional fees incurred from January 2020 – December 2021 on all unpaid...

QC police transport medical workers to vaccination sites

account_balanceQuezon City chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

The Quezon City government tapped various sectors to help out in the three-day national vaccination day that started Monday,  according to a report by Philippine News Agency. Medical groups, the QC Police District, and Bureau of Fire Prote...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature