Articles worth reading

Daily new virus cases in NCR fall below 1,000

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The seven-day average of new coronavirus cases in Metro Manila dropped to below 1,000 for the first time since July 22 to 28, OCTA Research fellow Guido David said in a report by CNN Philippines. The average this week is 996 — 43% lower t...

84 Pasay minors with comorbidities get vaccines

account_balancePasay access_time4 days ago

The Pasay City government inoculated a total of 84 children with comorbidities at the start of the city’s “Vacc to the Future” vaccination program for minors aged 12 to 17 on Oct. 22, according to a report by Manila Bulletin. Mayor...

100 experts seek open dialog on tobacco control

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Independent experts from different countries asked the World Health Organization’s (WHO) forthcoming tobacco control conference in November to be more open to stakeholders including consumers, public health experts and businesses if they truly ...

Metro News

DFA to open 17 offsite passport hubs 

account_balanceMetro News account_circleRainier Eubra chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is set to open 10 more temporary offsite passport services (TOPS) centers nationwide before the end of 2021, a ranking official said in a report by Philippine News Agency.

"We're thinking of opening three in the National Capital Region -- one in Manila, one in Novaliches and one in Fairview. What we want for the next few TOPS to be opened is that they are located outside NCR to give other applicants the chance to renew their passports nearby," Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Senen Mangalile told reporters in a virtual presser.

Apart from the three NCR sites, TOPS venues will also open soon in Cebu, Davao City, Iloilo, Pangasinan, Lipa in Batangas, and San Pedro in Laguna.

"So, we expect to see about 17 operating before the end of the year at hopefully mabigyan kami ng budget ng kongreso para maipagpatuloy ang programang ito (hopefully the Congress could provide us the budget to continue this program)," Mangalile said.

A maximum of 500 slots per TOPS site will be allocated, translating to at least 5,000 daily.

Mangalile admitted that all slots in consular offices and the seven existing sites have been filled as of this posting, but he assured that the DFA would open up more in the following months.

"Maraming nagsasabi na wala na tayong passport appointments hanggang 2022, hindi po totoo 'yon hindi pa lang natin binubuksan 'yung slots for October, November at December (It's not true that there are no longer appointment slots for 2022, we just have not opened up yet the slots for October, November, and December)," he said.

He said the slots would be opened in a staggered manner while the DFA fixes its system to prevent so-called "professional appointment setters" from locking and hogging the slots.

The DFA is also working to ease the long lines at its Aseana office where most applicants have been transferred after some consular offices in Metro Manila were hit by a series of Covid-19 outbreaks.

At present, only its office in SM Manila is temporarily closed for disinfection, Mangalile said.

Among others, the DFA is addressing issues with over 17,000 applications that need corrections after applicants made errors in filling up their forms online.

"We are correcting forms submitted towards the end of July until the first week of August, this may last maybe until the middle part of October as one of those correcting these errors tested positive for Covid so the whole team is considered as close contact. We are now employing new personnel to do this," Mangalile said.

The pandemic has forced the DFA to work at a limited capacity, severely affecting the country's consular operations.

Last year, the agency was only able to release around 1.7 million passports, a significant drop from the more than four million recorded in 2019.


date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Pasay to reject 'walk-in' applicants for pediatric vaccination 

account_balancePasay chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The Pasay City government is not accepting walk-ins in its “Vacc to the Future” vaccination program for children ages 12 to 17, according to a report by Manila Bulletin. Mayor Emi Calixto-Rubiano advised residents that there are two type...

More jobs expected in Cebu’s booming district 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

The major developments at the South Road Properties (SRP) district in Cebu City are projected to drive property values in nearby areas particularly the neighboring city of Talisay and to generate employment in Metro Cebu, where economic activity is p...

Navotas rolls out pediatric vaccination

account_balanceNavotas chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

The City Government of Navotas has started the inoculation of children aged 12 to 17 with co-morbidities against Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). “We are finally able to start the immunization of children against COVID-19. They are now off...

Muntinlupa to hire more contact tracers 

account_balanceMuntinlupa chrome_reader_mode14 hours ago

In a bid to effectively manage the COVID-19 situation in the city, the local government of Muntinlupa is hiring additional contact tracers under the DOLE-TUPAD program. At least 50 contact tracers will be hired by the Public Employment Service Offic...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature