San Juan News
COA asked to check San Juan financial status
San Juan Mayor Francis Zamora on Monday said he would ask the Commission on Audit to look into the financial status of the city government after discovering that the previous administration had left more than P1 billion in obligation.
After Monday’s flag ceremony, Zamora reported that the administration of former mayor Guia Gomez turned over P1.3 billion to the new administration, but most of the budget had already been allotted to projects bidded out up to December this year.
“I just want to be enlightened on the financial course of San Juan, that’s why we invite the Commission on Audit central office to check carefully the financial status,” he said.
Zamora, who ended the Estrada clan’s 50-year control of San Juan in the May 13 midterm elections, clarified that he was not accusing anyone of corruption.
“I just want to say that this is what we inherited in San Juan. Whether transactions are correct, only COA can answer that,” he said.
Of the P1.3-billion budget, Zamora said P521 million had been allocated to the construction of the new city hall and P43 million for furniture, P500 million for the San Juan Medical Center, P300 million for trust funds, and P44 million for long-term loans payment.
He said the bidded projects of the previous administration should be up to June only and not up to December this year.
Zamora, son of long-time congressional representative Ronaldo Zamora, said he recently signed Executive Order No. 1, which aims to protect the people’s money by having an internal pre-audit system for all transactions.