Articles worth reading
Photo Courtesy of Manila DRRM Office

Floods hit parts of Manila 

account_balanceManila access_time4 days ago

A heavy downpour caused gutter-deep floods in several areas in Manila on Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 27, according to a report by Manila Bulletin. The Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO), in an advisory, said gutter-deep f...

PNVF photo

Suzara named to FIVB post 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) has reaffirmed the appointment of Ramon “Tats” Suzara as Secretary of the FIVB Volleyball Empowerment Commission during the FIVB 38th World Congress held over the weekend in Arnhem, The Nethe...

Manila mayor leads turnover of hard hats to Court of Appeals 

account_balanceManila access_time4 days ago

Manila Mayor Dr. Honey Lacuna, together with Vice Mayor Yul Servo Nieto and City Administrator Bernie Ang, led the turnover ceremonial of 100 hard hats to the Court of Appeals held last September 14, 2022. These hard hats will serve as an extra laye...

Quezon City News

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte

Quezon City eyes charges against Colegio De San Lorenzo 

account_balanceQuezon City News account_circleSinagtala chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said the city government will file charges against Colegio De San Lorenzo (CDSL) for its non-compliance with the city’s Building Code, according to a report by Manila Bulletin.

“We will try to see if the school has complied with its various obligations to the city at napag-alaman namin (and we learned) that the school never had a building permit, never complied with the provisions of the BuildingCcode. Hence, the reason why there are floods in Congressional Avenue is because the school is built on top of a creek,” Belmonte said.

She added that the city already sent notices to the CDSL to take action regarding these concerns.

Advertisement

“Pero hanggang ngayon, wala naman silang hakbang na ginawa (But they have not taken steps until now), so the city will file charges on the basis of these violations and non -compliance with the permits of the city,” the mayor added.

The CDSL had earlier announced its permanent closure due to “financial instability and lack of financial viability brought about by the ongoing pandemic and exacerbated by consistent low enrollment turnout.”

The CDSL was reportedly sold even before its closure.

Lawyer Dale Perral, Department of Building head, said that they will still check when the school was sold and who is the new owner of the property.

The mayor instructed the City Legal Department to look into how the city government can help the individuals affected by the closure and to make sure the school takes responsibility for all the inconveniences suffered by its stakeholders.

Belmonte said there are already 28 schools that expressed willingness to accommodate the displaced students from CDSL.

She added there is a hotline that will connect parents and students to the city’s education affairs unit to get help in finding a new school.

Displaced CDSL personnel and faculty members were also endorsed to the city’s Public Employment and Services Office (PESO) for assistance in finding new jobs.

They can also apply for financial assistance while looking for work, the mayor said.

Belmonte also said that the city, along with the Division of City Schools, will also launch a program for educational recovery to help the faculty members.

“With regards to yung paghingi ng waiver ng paaralan, nagsalita na po na wala pong saysay yan. Kasi hindi po pwedeng limitahin ang legal options ng mga naapektuhan ng problemang ito. A waiver will not solve the problem (With regards to the school’s request for a waiver, I already said that it makes no sense. Because the legal option of those affected by this problem cannot be limited. A waiver won’t solve the problem),” she added.

“Nananawagan ako sa mga taga-Colegio De San Lorenzo, huwag na sana pumilit na pumirma pa ng waiver ang mga magulang at kabataan because it is their right to receive their refund ( I appeal to Colegio De San Lorenzo, please don’t force the parents and the youth to sign a waiver because it is their right to receive their refund,” Bemonte said.

“If the purpose of the school for the parents to sign the waiver is to have proof na narefund na yung binayad ng mga magulang (that the payment made by the parents were already refunded), then I guess, a receipt to that effect is enough. Now, if they are expecting that all other causes of action can be extinguished by that waiver, balewala po yun (it is worthless),” City Legal Officer lawyer Niño Casimiro said.

In a post on Colegio De San Lorenzo Ruiz-College Department’s Facebook page on Thursday, Aug. 18, the institution announced that the students are no longer required to sign waivers to get their checks.


date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Photo courtesy of: Pasig PIO

600 Pasig families move to evacuation centers

account_balancePasig chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Over 600 families or 2,386 individuals sought shelter in various evacuation centers in Pasig City from Sunday night to early Monday morning as strong winds and torrential rains brought about by typhoon “Karding” battered Luzon, according ...

2,170 QC, Camanava families seek shelters amid typhoon

account_balanceQuezon City chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

More than 2,000 families from Caloocan, Navotas, Malabon, Valenzuela (Camanava), and Quezon Cities were evacuated from their homes due to super typhoon Karding, according to a report by Manila Bulletin. Based on a Facebook post of the Quezon Ci...

653 Manila families evacuated as ‘Karding’ crosses Luzon

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Over 600 families from vulnerable barangays and areas in the city of Manila were preemptively evacuated on Sunday, Sept. 25, due to typhoon “Karding”, the city government said in a report by Manila Bulletin. According to lawyer Princess ...

Photo Courtesy of Marikina PIO

Marikina evacuates 5,024 families at the height of typhoon ‘Karding’ 

account_balanceMarikina chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

A total of 5,024 families or 21,796 individuals were evacuated from their homes as the Marikina River reached the “critical” 18 meter water level early Monday morning due to heavy rainfall brought about by typhoon “Karding”, a...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature