Quezon City News
2,170 QC, Camanava families seek shelters amid typhoon
More than 2,000 families from Caloocan, Navotas, Malabon, Valenzuela (Camanava), and Quezon Cities were evacuated from their homes due to super typhoon Karding, according to a report by Manila Bulletin.
Based on a Facebook post of the Quezon City local government, there were 2,175 families (7,312 individuals) from the city’s six districts who were evacuated to 77 evacuation center as of 2:30 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 26.
The local government on Sunday, Sept. 25, conducted forced and preemptive evacuations of families living in flood-prone areas to ensure their safety amid super typhoon Karding.
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte also visited the evacuation centers on Sunday to check the situation of the families and provide them assistance.
As of 9:06 a.m. on Sunday, the city government said that some families have returned to their homes.
The Valenzuela City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) listed 219 evacuated families (highest number recorded) in 12 evacuation centers as of 1 a.m. on Monday.
The Valenzuela City government also deployed its “Kitchen on Wheels” to serve hot meals to families in some evacuation centers.
The city government said that as of 8 a.m. on Monday, nine evacuation centers were already vacated by the families and only 122 families are staying in three centers.
In Caloocan City, 39 families were staying in five evacuation centers (11 evacuation centers were activated) as of 9 a.m. on Monday.
Caloocan City Mayor Dale Gonzalo “Along” Malapitan had earlier instructed his personnel to ensure that the needs of the evacuees in the centers were met including food, tents, and other basic necessities.
Meanwhile, the Navotas City government opened nine schools that served as the evacuation centers for 414 evacuated families from different barangays in the city.
All evacuees have already returned to their homes and were provided with food and other necessities, the city government said.
Aside from the cancellation of classes in the city, Navotas City Mayor John Rey Tiangco also announced that work in local government offices were also suspended on Monday, Sept. 26. However, disaster response and health services departments remained operational.
The city government of Malabon said that as of 7:30 a.m. on Monday, 107 families (443 individuals) were evacuated in four centers. They were also given hot meals.
Some of the families returned to their homes and there were around 24 families still staying in the evacuation centers as of 10 a.m.
The Valenzuela and Malabon City governments announced that they have already started clean up operations around the cities and in some evacuation sites.
As of 8 a.m. on Monday, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) has already lifted tropical cyclone wind signal No. 1 in Metro Manila.
Makati Mayor Abby Binay today said Makati has received a "Beyond Compliant" rating from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) in this year’s nationwide assessment of local disaster risk reduction and man...
The City Government of Navotas Tuesday distributed various fishing nets to registered boat owners through its Handog Lambat Program. Some 649 small-scale Navoteño fishers received 200-meter mesh nets in eight different sizes which can be used...
No more "sana all (I wish)." This was the declaration of Muntinlupa Mayor Ruffy Biazon in his Local State of the Children Report (LSCR) during the culminating activity for National Children's Month held November 28 at Festival Mall in ...