Palace leaves to NBI Vico Sotto's alleged violation
Malacanang Palace is leaving to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) the alleged quarantine violation committed by Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto.
Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said the Palace leaves it to NBI to justify its decision to require Sotto to appear at their office on April 7 to respond to the allegations.
Nograles said he had no “first-hand information” about the investigation which the NBI later claimed has been “politicized” and “sensationalized.”
However, Nograles said he recognized all efforts made by local officials to ensure that Bayanihan measures and the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) are observed at all times.
“Lahat naman ng mga LGUs na tumutulong sa ating mga kababayan ay pinapasalamatan po namin (We are thankful for all LGUs who help our citizens),” he said.
He also expressed confidence that the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) continues to do its part in identifying local officials who have abused their powers.
“The DILG has been working really hard to call the attention of LGU officials who are remiss or have overstepped their boundaries,” he said.
Last month, Sotto ordered the limited use of tricycles in the city to help ferry health workers and patients with urgent needs to hospitals and health facilities.
The use of mass public transport has been banned under the guidelines of enhanced community quarantine.
The Pasig City government now uses its own vehicles to transport health workers and patients.
DILG Undersecretary and spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said the differing views between the department and Sotto have been resolved.
"The mayor of Pasig was already cooperative. No issue in so far as the DILG is concerned now," Malaya said in a television interview.
He also backed Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra's remark, saying Sotto cannot be prosecuted for violating the Bayanihan Act because the alleged offenses were committed prior to its effectivity into law.
President Rodrigo Duterte signed the Bayanihan To Heal As One Act (Republic Act 11469) on March 24, 2020.
San Juan City reported no new case of coronavirus disease 2019 on May 24, according to Mayor Francis Zamora. As of May 22, Zamora said the total number of COVID-19 cases in the city remains at 302. “Sa pangalawang pagkakataon mula March ...
Vice President Leni Robredo’s office expanded its e-market project to cover 12 areas in Pasig City amid the coronavirus pandemic. Robredo’s office began the pilot run of the Community Mart delivery service at the Pasig Mega Market where ...
Pasig City temporarily suspended the operations of its "Libreng Sakay" on May 25 in observance of Eid'l Fitr, which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan or fasting for Muslims. In an advisory of the Pasig Transport, the service o...
Navotas City passed two ordinances to impose stricter measures on social distancing and extend the liquor ban in the city. City Ordinance No. 2020-23, which amended the ordinance on the mandatory use of face mask, requires that all persons in public...
Pasig City plans to purchase personal learning devices for students and improve the city’s Internet connectivity as it gears up for the resumption of classes in August and the “new normal” in education. Mayor Vico Sotto made the an...