Pasig eyes rapid testing of employees
Pasig City plans to to require employees to undergo rapid testing for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Mayor Vico Sotto said this in a tweet on Monday, in response to reports that Department of Health (DOH) Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said workers are not required to take COVID-19 tests before returning to work.
“We want to require rapid testing then confirmatory PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test here in Pasig,” Sotto said.
“The LGU (local government unit) can take care of the confirmatory PCR testing but the problem is where will small companies get rapid test kits? Even our LGU is having a hard time with this. Delays with delivery. Fakes proliferating,” he added.
With the easing of quarantine measures in Metro Manila, scores of workers have returned to work as select industries were allowed to resume operations.
Last week, the Marikina City government started conducting rapid mass testing to some returning workers in the city.
Mayor Marcelino Teodoro said the local government is targeting to test around 6,000 workers in the shoemaking industry, and at least 8,000 industrial employees in the city.
Moreover, the mayor said trash collectors, tricycle drivers, and local government employees will also undergo rapid testing.
He noted that it is important to test employees before allowing them to return to work to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 in their respective workplaces, as well as to ensure the safety of all workers.
“In its entirety, what we are looking at here is the balance of safety, health aspect, and economic activity,” Teodoro said.
Globe Telecom is aggressively pushing for the expansion of its 5G coverage, a highly anticipated mobile technology, in key areas in the metropolis, specifically in the Makati and Bonifacio Global City Central of Business Districts (CBDs). After show...
Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto said residents should only travel for essential purposes even as Metro Manila shifts to general community quarantine (GCQ). Sotto reminded his constituents that shifting to GCQ does not change any of the implemented ...
Operatives from the Bureau of Customs-NAIA confiscated 8.7 tons of illegally imported medicines, cosmetics, cigarettes and electronic goods in Trece Martires, Cavite. The hazardous goods arrived through different warehouses without proper permits an...
Parañaque City is lifting the liquor ban effective June 1, according to Mayor Edwin Olivarez. Under Executive Order (EO) No. 2020-041, Olivarez ordered the lifting of the suspension of permit to sell liquor starting Monday, when Metro Manila ...
Manila placed a barangay in Pandacan district under a two-day hard lockdown starting June 1. Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said Barangay 847 in Pandacan would undergo a hard lockdown starting 12 a.m. of June 1 until 11:59 p.m. o...