MMDA open to suggestions on traffic solutions
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said it welcomes suggestions to resolve Metro Manila’s traffic congestion.
MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago said their office welcomes such suggestions, in response to Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice’s proposal to ban private vehicles from plying Edsa during rush hours, in a radio interview at DZMM on Monday.
“Kami din po ay nabibigla pero kami ay natutuwa dahil parami ng parami ang mga suhestiyon na natatanggap natin para masulosyunan ang pabigat nang pabigat na trapiko sa Edsa (We are also surprised but happy because of the increasing number of suggestions that we are receiving to solve the worsening traffic condition in Edsa),” Pialago said in a message sent to reporters.
However, she clarified that enacting such policies require studies first before they are proposed to the Metro Manila Council (MMC) for policy-making later.
“Ngunit lahat po ng suggestion ay dadaan sa proseso, pag-aaralan po ito ng ating engineering department saka po natin titingnan kung ano ang maari nating mai-propose sa MMC (But all suggestions must go through the process, these will be studied by our engineering department then we’ll decide which ones to propose to the MMC),” Pialago said.
She added that all traffic policies in the metropolis must be approved by the MMC, which consists of the 17 mayors in Metro Manila and other government officials.
When asked which suggestions have reached the MMC, the spokesperson said their engineering department has yet to make a final assessment to determine which of these will reach the MMC for approval.
In his interview, Erice said until the completion of the Metro Rail Transit Line 3’s (MRT-3) rehabilitation, Metro Manila subway, and the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) – South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) connector road, public transportation must be favored over private vehicles in Edsa.
"Mula alas-6 hanggang alas-9 ng umaga, at mula alas-6 ng gabi hanggang alas-9, ipagbawal na ang mga private vehicles sa Edsa (from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., and from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., let’s ban private vehicles in Edsa),” Erice said.
On August 28, engineering firm Guevara & Partners Incorporated, through its president, Fernando Guevara, presented a one-way traffic scheme for EDSA, which is said to increase the average speed of traffic on the major thoroughfare from less than 20 km/h to about 42 km/h.
A few days later, former Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) consultant Ariston Gorospe submitted a “vehicular brand reduction program” proposal to the MMDA, which seeks to ban specific brands of vehicles in Edsa on certain days.
President Rodrigo R. Duterte may set a deadline for government agencies to provide compensation to health care workers who feill ill or died of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made the remark after sena...
The Philippine National Police (PNP) listed the routes for its "Libreng Sakay" program to fetch commuters amid the general community quarantine in Metro Manila. According to PNP spokesman Police Brigadier General Bernard Banac, the program...
President Rodrigo Duterte ordered Health Secretary Francisco Duque III to form a new team who will manage the distribution of cash assistance to Covid-19-hit health workers. At a briefing with Cabinet officials, Duterte said Duque should tap “...
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) warned bicycle groups against putting up their own bicycle lanes along EDSA and other major thoroughfares in Metro Manila. MMDA Spokesperson Celine Pialago said she has spoken with the cyclists wh...
Facebook started labelling media organizations whose editorial calls may be under the influence of governments and said ads from those outlets would be blocked later this year. The social network is following through on a previously announced plan t...