Gov’t personnel violate Edsa busway rule
Half of the 987 violators caught using the Edsa busway turned out to be government personnel, according to the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
Since the opening of the 16-stop busway on the innermost lane of Edsa on June 1, around 30 vehicles a day have been flagged by traffic authorities for using it illegally.
Unfortunately, according to MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago, half of them turned out to be government personnel although she did not provide any figures.
“Half of those flagged were our colleagues in the government, driving their private vehicles,” Pialago said on Sunday, adding that others were in official vehicles or on motorcycles.
The violators were supposed to be slapped a fine of P1,000 on top of an additional P150 for disregarding traffic signs.
But Pialago said they were given some consideration and penalized only for disregarding traffic signs.
Government personnel, especially uniformed ones, should be emulated by the public while on the road, she added.
“We are not singling out our colleagues, but if a private vehicle with government personnel inside was seen on the bus lane, other vehicles would follow suit. This will destroy the very concept of the Edsa busway,” Pialago said.
She reminded them that the Edsa busway was exclusively for city buses and could only be used by government workers in emergency vehicles, including ambulances and “government mobiles with sirens and markings.”
On the other hand, traffic accidents caused by the concrete barriers marking the busway have dropped this month.
According to Pialago, their enforcers recorded only three accidents in the first two weeks of July—a significant decrease compared to last month.
The MMDA recorded a total of 43 vehicles crashing into the concrete barriers in June but said these were all “self-accidents” or caused by driver’s error.
A total of 36,000 concrete barriers will be laid down alongside the busway stretching from Monumento to the Parañaque Integrated Terminal Exchange as additional protection for commuters.
The MMDA acknowledged complaints about the barriers from motorists but only called on them to exercise more caution.
“Motorists won’t crash [into] concrete barriers if they will only stay [in] their proper lanes and not overspeed, which usually happens in the early morning,” Pialago said.
According to her, the MMDA will place additional hazard markers—blinking orange lights—on top of the concrete barriers to make these more visible at night.
D&L Industries, a manufacturer of specialty food ingredients, plastics and oleochemicals, expects to recover its profit in the second half of 2020 after its net income declined by 43 percent in the first half, reflecting economic disruptions caus...
Up to 100 million COVID-19 vaccine doses could be made available for poorer countries by 2021 under a deal struck Friday for production at the Serum Institute of India. The deal was announced by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, for production of two diff...
Manila deployed 400 coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) safety marshals to watch, remind and make sure that people in public places strictly follow imposed health safety protocols. Manila Mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso led the depl...
Team of 20 PGA Professionals Benny Cook, Rob Labritz, Bob Sowards share top performances after first-round of 2020 PGA Championship
Benny Cook of Caledonia, Michigan, Rob Labritz of Pound Ridge, New York, and Bob Sowards of Dublin, Ohio -- a trio that own a combined 20 PGA Championship appearances -- each posted a 1-over-par 71 Thursday at TPC Harding Park to share the low round ...
The drive-thru and walk-in coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) testing centers in the city of Manila will remain operational during the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from August 4 to 18. Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno&rdqu...