DENR designates 30 heritage trees
Thirty “heritage trees” have withstood the passing of time and witnessed the urban transformation of Metro Manila,” according to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources-National Capital Region (DENR-NCR).
They are particularly chosen by the DENR regional office following a recommendation by the host community due to their shared common history with the people and places where they are found.
Nine heritage trees are found in Quezon City, seven in the City of Manila, five in Caloocan City, two each in San Juan City and Marikina City, and one each in the cities of Valenzuela, Pasay, Muntinlupa, and Parañaque, and in the municipality of Pateros.
In line with the celebration of Arbor Day on Thursday, June 25, the DENR-NCR is showcasing the 30 “heritage trees” of Metro Manila. They are:
1. Kamagong (Diospyrus discolor), Veterans Memorial Medical Center, Quezon City
2. Acacia (Samanea saman), St. Theresa’s College, Quezon City
3. Duhat (Syzygium cumini), Kaligayahan Elementary School, Quezon City
4. Balete (Ficus sp.), Malacañan Palace, Manila
5. Narra (Pterocarpus indicus), Fe Del Mundo Medical Center, Quezon City
6. Baliteng –baging (Ficus benghalensis), Lichauco Heritage House, Santa Ana, Manila
7. Sampaloc (Tamarindus indica), Brgy. Amihan, Proj. 3, Quezon City
8. Indian Rubber Tree (Ficus elastica), San Francisco High School, Quezon City
9. Duhat (Syzygium cumini), Star Woods Manufacturing, Inc., Karuhatan, Valenzuela City
10. Dita Tree (Alstonia scholaris), University of the Philippines, Manila
11. Botong (Barringtonia asiatica), Philippine Women University, Jose Abad Santos Memorial School, Quezon City
12. Acacia (Samanea saman), Philippine School for the Deaf, Pasay City
13. Acacia (Samanea saman), Tomas Earnshaw Elementary School, Sta. Ana, Manila
14. Betis (Madhuca betis), Manila North Cemetery
15. Narra (Pterocarpus indicus), Manila North Cemetery
16. Ipil (Intsia bijuga), Manila North Cemetery
17. Dita (Alstonia scholaris), Batasan Hills, Quezon City
18. Kamagong (Diospyros discolor), House of Representatives, Quezon City
19-20. Rain trees (Samanea saman), Santuario del Sto. Cristo Parish, San Juan City
21. Rain tree (Samanea saman), Shoe Museum, Marikina City
22. Rain Tree (Samanea saman), Our Lady of Abandoned Parish Cemetery, Marikina City
23. Mango tree (Mangifera indica), Alabang Elementary School, Muntinlupa City
24. Rain tree (Samanea saman), Tata Dune Catholic Church, Brgy. San Dionisio, Parañaque City
25. Narra (Pterocarpus indicus), Amparo Nature Park, Caloocan City
26. Tangisang bayawak (Ficus variegate), Amparo Nature Park, Caloocan City
27. Dita (Alstonia scholaris), Amparo Nature Park, Caloocan City
28. Antipolo (Artocarpus blancoi), Amparo Nature Park, Caloocan City
29. Mango tree (Mangifera indica), San Roque Parish Church, Pateros
30. Acacia (Samanea saman), Dr. Jose N. Rodriguez Memorial Hospital and Sanitarium, Caloocan City
Established through a DENR-NCR memorandum issued in 2009, the Heritage Tree is part of the urban greening and tree protection program of the regional office.
Under the program, “trees that are old, rare, native, or endemic, with a minimum girth or circumference of 100 centimeters and measures one-half meter above ground” are chosen by the DENR-NCR from nominations made by the host community.
Trees included in the program receive special attention and protection from a pool of foresters of DENR-NCR to ensure that they live longer and preserve their historical legacy.
Gilas Pilipinas and Japan were assured of slots in the 2023 FIBA World Cup, the first time that multiple nations will collaborate as hosts, as announced by FIBA on Monday night. The world's basketball governing body said both squads, which parti...
Senate Committee on Health and Demography Chair Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go assured the medical community that the government heard their concerns as the country continues to grapple with coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic. ...
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Gen. Archie Gamboa the protesters and all police commanders and personnel responsible for the peaceful conduct of the fifth State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Rodrigo Duterte. Gamboa also lauded t...
Navotas City reported the biggest single day increase in coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on July 31. Mayor Tobias “Toby” Tiangco said Navotas recorded an additional 246 cases on 31 July, raising the total to 2,144. The mayor sa...
Globe Telecom Inc. is allocating P50.3 billion for its capital expenditure for the entirety of 2020. In a statement, Globe said the 2020 capex plan will support the roll-out of this high-speed mobile technology and further expand the LTE network cov...