Articles worth reading
Palace spokesman Harry Roque

Gov't to reexamine virus response

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) will revisit strategies in combating the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic to reopen the economy. Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said reviewing th...

Agora Market up for rehabilitation

account_balanceSan Juan access_time4 days ago

San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora announced plans to rehabilitate Agora Market following its temporary closure due to a lone case of coronavirus disease there. In an interview, Zamora said the plan to rehabilitate the market was put on hold followi...

Photo courtesy of: OTCE, AFP

AFP completes quarantine facilities in Taguig 

account_balanceTaguig access_time5 days ago

The Armed Forces of the Philippines and WTA Architecture Design Studio turned over two units of Emergency Quarantine Facilities (EQF) to Taguig-Pateros District hospital on June 30. The turn-over and blessing ceremonies were attended by Architect Wi...

Metro News

Buses in Metro Manila / Manila Bulletin

Labor group opposes provincial bus ban

account_balanceMetro News account_circleMichael Lim chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Militant group Kilusang Mayo Uno opposed the ban on provincial buses on EDSA, calling it anti-poor and a violation of commuters’ rights.

KMU Chairperson Elmer Labog said the only way to solve traffic on EDSA is for government to provide a safe, efficient and affordable mass transport service.

“An efficient and affordable public transportation system should be at the core of government’s program in solving traffic in EDSA. Public transportation should be enhanced instead of banning provincial buses in favor of a few big businesses interested in running new bus units in Metro Manila,” said Labog.

The group slammed the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) for the carrying out a dry run of the ban last week.

The dry run was severely criticized after it inconvenienced thousands of commuters.

Labog said commuters, drivers and small operators who use EDSA daily must be consulted in crafting a solution to the traffic in Metro Manila’s main highway.

“Workers and employees are the daily riders in EDSA as they go to and from their work and they mainly rely on public transportation, he said.

The bus ban is an added burden to commuters, who have to transfer buses at the designated terminals, take longer hours of travel, and pay more for taking several trips, Labog said.

He pointed out that even with the ban, government will still introduce new point-to-point buses (P2P) on EDSA, negating whatever vehicle reduction it deems consequential to the new scheme.

“Provincial buses are not the major cause of EDSA traffic. MMDA must admit that in this new scheme it is not really addressing the volume of vehicles traversing EDSA, he said.

Labog cited MMDA’s finding that there are only 12,283 buses compared to 247,527 cars traversing EDSA every day.

The same MMDA study confirmed that buses, trucks, taxis, motorcycles and utility vehicles comprise only 113,694 vehicle units on EDSA, or just close to half of the number of cars.

Labog said those behind the provincial bus ban are big businesses tied with foreign investors who want to deploy P2P buses and other vehicles, eventually monopolizing public transport on EDSA.

“Is the government really interested in solving traffic in EDSA, or is it only scheming to facilitate the entry of big foreign and local corporations into the public transport system in Metro Manila? We think it’s the latter,” he said.

date_rangeDate Published
10 months ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Photo Courtesy of PNA

DSWD taps 6 financial firms 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and Land Bank of the Philippines have tapped six financial service providers to fast-track the release of the second tranche of Social Amelioration Program (SAP) through digital payments scheme....

Agora Market up for rehabilitation

account_balanceSan Juan chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora announced plans to rehabilitate Agora Market following its temporary closure due to a lone case of coronavirus disease there. In an interview, Zamora said the plan to rehabilitate the market was put on hold followi...

DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra / PCOO

DOJ welcomes SC ruling on Bayanihan Act

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he welcomes the recent ruling by the Supreme Court (SC) to dismiss a petition challenging the validity of legislation and presidential proclamations of the government to fight the coronavirus disease (Covid-19)...

Sen. Bong Go

Go pushes more quarantine facilities 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

Sen. Bong Go again called for the establishment of quarantine facilities in every region of the country, as he urged fellow lawmakers to support Senate Bill No. 1529 or the “Mandatory Quarantine Facilities Act of 2020” filed by the senato...

PNP rules out misencounter in soldiers’ slay

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

The Philippine National Police (PNP) confirmed that the incident involving policemen and Army troopers in Jolo, Sulu on Monday that left four soldiers dead was not a “misencounter.” Clarifying his earlier pronouncement, PNP spokesman Bri...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Caloocan shortens curfew hours Six areas in NCR, Cebu register virus spikes Number coding remains suspended Senators propose ‘junk food’ tax COVID-19 cases rise on easing of restrictions Critics free to question anti-terror law Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature