Articles worth reading

DOST to support technology ventures

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) will allot P5 million in initial funding for its iFWD PH (innovation for Filipinos Working Distantly from the Philippines). The iFWD PH aims to provide opportunities to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs)...

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto

Pasig allows only essential travels 

account_balancePasig access_time4 days ago

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto said residents should only travel for essential purposes even as Metro Manila shifts to general community quarantine (GCQ). Sotto reminded his constituents that shifting to GCQ does not change any of the implemented ...

PNP resumes admin services on June 4 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Philippine National Police (PNP) will resume its frontline administrative functions and regulatory services such as processing of licenses, permits and clearances to the public on June 4. “This is in view of the expected public turnou...

Metro News

DOH and MM mayors joint force to prevent dengue

DOH, Metro Manila mayors seek ways to combat dengue

account_balanceMetro News account_circleGab dela Cruz chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III will meet with Metro Manila mayors to discuss how to better address the spread of dengue.

As of Aug. 3, the overall number of dengue cases in the NCR stood at 11,247, with 45 deaths. While this was still lower than the 10,349 cases recorded during the same period last year, 10 cities had already surpassed the number of cases they reported in 2018.

These were Taguig (490 cases from 243), Malabon (513 from 282), Mandaluyong (386 from 218), Muntinlupa (315 from 185), Makati (430 from 291) Navotas (142 from 105), Parañaque (839 from 663), Las Piñas (375 from 309), Pasay (284 from 241) and San Juan (93 from 87).

Of these cities, only Taguig was classified to have breached the epidemic threshold which meant that the number of cases it had now were higher than its five-year average. Muntinlupa, on the other hand, was under close monitoring as it was hovering above the alert threshold.

“We will be meeting the mayors to give them a warning that there is a possibility that cases in NCR will spike. So there is a need for everyone to take precautions,” Duque said.

He added that more dengue cases were expected given that the mosquito-borne disease usually peaked in October.

While Quezon City, the most populated city in the NCR, reported the highest incidence of dengue deaths at 24, it has so far recorded just 3,151 cases, a 22-percent decline compared to 4,052 in 2018.

By regions, only the NCR and Central Luzon continue to report relatively lower dengue cases.

As of July 27, Central Luzon had 9,571 dengue cases with 29 deaths, lower than last year’s 12,573 cases and 40 deaths.

Incidentally, the two regions were included in the school-based immunization program of the controversial dengue vaccine Dengvaxia in 2016.

date_rangeDate Published
9 months ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

'Better normal' bill advances on second reading

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode16 hours ago

The House of Representatives passed on second reading a bill which makes health and safety measures like frequent handwashing and wearing of masks mandatory in the wake of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) crisis. In a vote of ayes and nays, t...

Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez / PCOO

Gov't eyes $16.7-billion stimulus package 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

The government plans to implement a stimulus package worth P846 billion ($16.7 billion) to enable a full economic recovery from the pandemic. The recovery program now pending before the Philippine Congress also includes a cut in corporate income tax...

Parañaque stops testing of Chinese nationals

account_balanceParañaque chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Parañaque City stopped the mass testing of Chinese citizens for coronavirus at a subdivision in the city. According to a report on "24 Oras," the mass testing of around 200 to 300 Chinese was conducted without a permit from the City...

Photo courtesy of: ABS-CBN

301 barangay officials face charges

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will file charges against 301 barangay officials for alleged irregularities in the distribution of the Social Amelioration Program, "Hindi po hihinto ang DILG at ang PNP sa paghabol...

Social Weather Stations (SWS)

39% of Filipinos use aid during pandemic 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

About 39 percent of Filipinos use government aid to purchase basic needs amid the pandemic, according to the special Social Weather Stations (SWS) Covid-19 Mobile Survey.  The source of funds of about 45 percent of Filipinos used to p...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Manila allows tricycle operations Jobless Filipinos increase to 7.3 million Duterte warns online scammers Six new NCR bus routes launched Online system for quarantine certificates opens IATF allows reopening of hotels Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature