DOT wants age restrictions lifted for Intramuros visits
The Department of Tourism will push for the lifting of age restrictions for people who wish to visit Intramuros, according to a report by Manila Bulletin.
In an interview with DZMM on Wednesday, Feb. 24, Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said she will seek the approval of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) to allow a “one day family day” for visitors of the walled city.
“‘Ang hinihiling namin sa IATF na tanggalin na yung age restriction, kahit isang araw, may family day (What we’re asking of the IATF is to lift the age restriction, even just for a day to allow a family day),” Puyat said.
Currently, only visitors aged 15 to 65 years old are allowed to enter Intramuros.
Puyat said there were a lot of families and kids who wanted to enter the walled city during its reopening last week, Feb. 17, but couldn’t do so because of the age restriction.
The tourism secretary said Intramuros is “very safe, especially for families” since it’s an open space, with open-air, and only 100 people are allowed “at any given time.”
Puyat added that everything is contactless in Intramuros and that disinfectants such as alcohol are placed everywhere in the walled city.
“It’s heartbreaking. Maraming nakalinya na magulang na medyo matagal na sa bahay di nakakalabas yung anak nila tapos di sila makapasok sa Intramuros, eh very safe naman (It’s heartbreaking to see a lot of parents waiting in line with their children who probably haven’t been outside their homes for a very long time to enter Intramuros and couldn’t do so even though it’s very safe),” she said.
Puyat said she is confident that her proposal will be considered with advice from the health experts.
Manila Mayor Francisco 'Isko Moreno' Domagoso announced on Friday, September 10, that the Department of Interior and Local Government - National Capital Region (DILG-NCR) has commended the Manila Anti-Drug Council (MADAC) for its accomplishme...