Articles worth reading

Manila News

Manila Mayor Francisco %u201CIsko Moreno%u201D Domagoso (center) speaks before members of the media in Quezon City on Monday (July 29, 2019). He believes the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes%

Manila's funds not affected by PCSO ban — Isko

account_balanceManila chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Although the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) provides charity for the masses and doles out funds for government projects, the city of Manila does not rely that much from its income, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said on Monday.

PCSO is a corporation connected to the President's Office with the objective of raising funds for the social programs of the government, particularly those associated to health and charity.

PCSO runs lottery games–lotto, small town lottery (STL), online keno, scratch cards, and sweepstakes to collect these resources.

Its distribution is as follows: 55% for award cash, 30% for the President's Social Fund (PSF), 15% for the working costs of the company, and 5% as a contingency fund.

President Rodrigo Duterte instructed PCSO's gaming operations to be shut down on Saturday, stating, "the ground is massive corruption involving all — including the courts that issued the — constantly issued injunctions to paralyze government and enable corruption to flourish."

The Manila Mayor, backed up the statement of the President in the interview.

"In STL, they could only be handing out 20 percent of the income, the 80 percent will be theirs. They are making it a legitimate blanket to cover up the illegalities", said Mayor Domagoso.

On July 29, Moreno ordered the withdrawal of PCSO gaming establishments’ business and mayor's permits.

Asked whether he considers also losing the charity money sourced from PCSO, the mayor said, "What do you prefer-- that the thieves who rob huge amounts or would you rather just make their operations stop for the meantime?,” he said.

“Hindi sila kawalan” the mayor added.

date_rangeDate Published
5 months ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

DTI eyes sanctions vs 12 Bambang stores selling overpriced N95 masks

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

At least 12 medical supply stores along Bambang Street in Sta. Cruz, Manila were issued notices of violation for selling overpriced N95 masks, according to the Department of Trade (DTI). DTI Undersecretary Ruth Castelo said the allowable price ...

Traslacion 2020 / PNA

Traslacion 2020 the fastest in recent years

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Officials of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo, Manila said the Traslacion or the annual procession of the Black Nazarene this year was one of the fastest on record. Msgr. Hernando Coronel said the 16-hour procession of the ima...

Muntinlupa City Seal

Muntinlupa grants 10% discount to early property taxpayers

account_balanceMuntinlupa chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

Muntinlupa City has launched an incentives program for real property tax payers who will settle their dues on or before the quarterly deadline. Muntinlupa City Treasurer’s Office released the deadline of payment of real property...

Makati raises P18.77-billion revenues in 2019

account_balanceMakati chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

Makati Mayor Abby Binay said the city government raised P18.77 billion in revenues last year, surpassing the 2019 target by 10 percent. “I am glad to tell you that we have surpassed last year’s revenue target by ten percent as of Dec. 31...

Black Nazarene

Traslacion reaches Quiapo in record time 

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

The Black Nazarene arrived at Quiapo Church at around 8:49 p.m. on January 6, or about 16 hours since the procession began. The Traslacion, or the procession of the life-size image of the Black Nazarene from the Quirino Grandstand in Rizal Park to t...

San Agustin Church in Manila City / Airpaz Blog

Manila churches raising money for Taal victims

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

Catholic churches under the Archdiocese of Manila are holding a second collection drive during the masses for the victims of Taal Volcano's eruption. “In solidarity with our bringers and sisters who are affected by the eruption o...

Advertisement