Manila public schools post 100% enrollment rate
Public school officials in Manila said exceeded their target by hitting 100.46 percent enrollment for the upcoming school year.
Based on the data provided by the Manila Division of City Schools, there were 270,219 public school enrollees as of July 3, more than the earlier projection of 268,972.
In an online broadcast, Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said the increase might be due the fact that the coronavirus pandemic had left some parents without jobs, forcing them to pull out their children from private schools.
“We prepared a buffer for the number of enrollees this coming school year because we know that life has been hard these past few months. We anticipate that it will be even harder in the near future, and that is why we predicted that private school students may be transferring to public schools,” he added. There were no figures available, however, on how many of the enrollees were transferees from private schools.
Isko thanks parents
Domagoso, meanwhile, thanked parents for heeding the city government’s advice to enroll their children in the coming school year where “blended learning,” instead of face-to-face classes, would be the norm.
The DepEd has extended enrollment to July 15 to allow enough time for more students to sign up online. As of last week, only 15.9 million students had enlisted in private and public schools, 12 million short of the 28 million target.
Last month, the city government announced that it would be buying around 110,000 tablets equipped with SIM cards and 11,000 laptops with pocket Wi-Fi devices worth P994 million for public school students and teachers.
A total of P1.065 billion would be allocated by the city government for the purchase of gadgets, Domagoso said.
The laptops will be distributed to teachers while the tablet devices with SIM cards will be provided for students before the opening of the school year.
Quezon City launched an investigation against several companied over their failure to inform authorities about the presence of suspected positive coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients in their workplace. This was discovered after the city’s ...
Manila Mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso ordered all local offices and units in the city to adopt alternative work arrangements after President Rodrigo Duterte announced the reimposition of the modified enhanced community quarantine ...
Following the national guidelines on the implementation of the modified enhanced community quarantine in Metro Manila, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in Manila announced that residents must reuse their old quarantine passe...
Paranaque City will launch its synchronized expanded community testing on July 28 at the barangay level in a bid to contain the increasing number of individuals affected with coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Mayor Edwin Olivarez said the synchronized...
The Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM) will be placed under a two-week lockdown amid the rising number of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) cases among its employees. In a statement released Sunday afternoon, PLM said it already has four...