Makati approves P17-million assistance to LGUs hit by typhoon
The Makati Sangguniang Panlungsod has approved a P17-million financial assistance to sister cities, municipalities and provinces affected by Typhoon Tisoy.
Makati Mayor Abby Binay said based on the recommendation of the Makati Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (MDRRMC) which she chairs, the city council passed City Ordinance No. 2020-023 authorizing the said appropriation.
"We are glad to share a portion of our disaster funds with localities that have been hard-hit by Typhoon Tisoy. This financial aid from Makati aims to support the efforts of concerned local government units to recover from the calamity and rebuild their communities,” Mayor Abby said.
The mayor said the financial assistance will be given to various localities in the provinces of Quezon, Oriental Mindoro, Occidental Mindoro, Albay, Camarines Sur, Catanduanes, Masbate, Sorsogon, and Northern Samar. Funds will be sourced from the Local DRRM Fund-quick response fund under the 2020 Executive Budget of the city.
Earlier this January, the mayor convened the MDRRMC for its first special meeting to discuss the city's support for the recovery and further rehabilitation of local government units affected by Tisoy.
Based on the approved ordinance, the city will extend a total of P7,250,000 as financial assistance to provinces severely affected by Typhoon Tisoy that have over 20,000 affected families each. The provinces of Quezon, Albay, Camarines Sur, Masbate, Sorsogon, and Northern Samar, will each receive P1 million.
Meanwhile, the provinces of Oriental Mindoro and Catanduanes, each with more than 5,000 affected families, will each receive P500,000, and Occidental Mindoro with 4,296 affected families will receive P250,000.
The city will also give financial aid amounting to P9,750,000 to its affected sister cities and municipalities. The beneficiaries include Daraga (Albay), Malinao (Albay) and Pilar (Sorsogon) with over 11,000 affected families each, P1,000,000 each; Tabaco City (Albay) and Aroroy (Masbate) with over 8,000 affected families, P750,000 each; Bato (Camarines Sur), Allen (Northern Samar), Bobon (Northern Samar), Lavezares (Northern Samar), and San Roque (Northern Samar) with over 5,000 affected families, P500,000 each.
Meanwhile, San Andres (Quezon), Legazpi City (Albay), Sto. Domingo (Albay), Cabusao (Camarines Sur), Calabanga (Camarines Sur), Libmanan (Camarines Sur), Minalabac (Camarines Sur), Sipocot (Camarines Sur), Biri (Northern Samar), Lope de Vega (Northern Samar), and Gamay (Northern Samar) with over 2,000 affected families will each receive P250,000.
Based on the Guidelines for Initial Financial Assistance to Disaster-Affected Areas in the Philippines which Makati adopted through City Ordinance No. 2017-006, the financial assistance shall be based on the number of affected families: 2,000 to 5,000 families: P250,000; 5,001 to 8,000: P500,000; 8,001 to 11,000: P750,000; and 11,001 and more: P1,000,000.
Typhoon Tisoy hit Regions III, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, V, VIII, CAR, and Caraga early December last year, damaging over 561,000 infrastructures and affecting over 470,000 families (NDRRMC Situational Report No. 20).
Meanwhile, the city council has also approved an additional P1,250,000 in financial assistance to the quake-hit municipalities of Hagonoy and Padada in Davao del Sur that are still under a state of calamity.
On the Mayor’s orders, the city recently deployed emergency response vehicles and relief goods to evacuation sites for Taal volcano eruption victims in Bauan, Batangas, to provide assistance to evacuees.
Veterans of the February 1986 EDSA Revolution, including former Vice President Jejomar Binay, former Senators Rene Saguisag and Sergio Osmeña III, and former Tourism Secretary Antonio Gonzales, gathered on Feb. 25 at the Ninoy Aquino stat...