Typhoon 'Karding' affects nearly 40,000 families
The number of families affected so far by Super Typhoon Karding has climbed to 39,893 or equivalent to 157,023 persons residing in 1,318 barangays in seven regions in the country, according to a report by Philippine News Agency.
In its Wednesday update, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the affected population is from Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
Around 574 evacuation centers are currently sheltering 8,825 families or 37,135 individuals with the remainder being aided by relatives and friends.
So far, the NDRRMC is still validating and confirming reports of 10 deaths and eight missing persons.
The deaths include six from Bulacan, two from Zambales, one from Burdeos, Quezon province and one from Tanay, Rizal while the missing persons include two from Antipolo, Rizal, one from Patnanungan, Quezon and five from Mercedes, Camarines Norte.
Around 3,068 houses were also reported damaged by "Karding" in Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon and Cordillera.
Of this number, 2,437 were classified as partially damaged and 631 as totally damaged.
Agriculture damage was estimated at PHP108,837,409 and these were incurred in the regions of Ilocos, Calabarzon, Bicol, and CAR.
Damage to irrigation was placed at PHP1.3 million in the Bicol Region while infrastructure damage was placed at PHP23 million in Ilocos Region, Mimaropa and Cordillera.
As the first meeting this week of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC1) to develop a global legally-binding instrument on plastics progresses, the toxics watchdog group EcoWaste Coalition affirmed the urgency to protect humans and other ...
The House of Representatives on Tuesday approved on third and final reading a measure seeking to grant Filipino citizenship to Barangay Ginebra resident import Justin Brownlee, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. With 274 affirmati...
Engineering and construction contractor D.M. Consunji Inc. (DMCI) is eyeing three more contracts to build the Metro Manila Subway Project, according to a report by GMA News. DMCI and its joint venture partner Nishimatsu Construction Co. Ltd. ba...
San Juan City Mayor and newly-elected Metro Manila Council (MMC) President Francis Zamora said on Saturday, Nov. 26, that the council has approved the resolution allocating more than P9 billion operational budget for the Metropolitan Manila Developme...