Articles worth reading
Army commander, Lt. Gen. Gilbert Gapay leads the launching of the PA's revitalized YouTube channel in Fort Bonifacio on Monday (June 1, 2020) / PNA

Army revitalizes YouTube channel 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Philippine Army (PA) commander, Lt. Gen. Gilbert Gapay, led the launching of the PA's revitalized YouTube channel through a live broadcast at the Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City. “Despite a new normal, the Army continues i...

Returning OFWs still required to undergo quarantine

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

An Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) sub-task group said there would be no changes in the existing protocols for arriving passengers at Philippine airports. In an advisory shared on the Philippine ...

PNP chief, Gen. Archie Gamboa / PNA

PNP to adjust full alert status 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Philippine National Police (PNP) will study whether to downgrade the full alert status as the country shifts into a more relaxed general community quarantine (GCQ) amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic. "Hindi pa nada-downgr...

Metro News

Undersecretary Eliseo Rio Jr.

Rio resigns as DICT undersecretary

account_balanceMetro News account_circleJames Lopes chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

President Rodrigo Duterte accepted the resignation of Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) Undersecretary Eliseo Rio Jr.

Duterte’s acceptance came over three months since Rio tendered his resignation.

“We likewise affirm that the President has accepted the resignation of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) Undersecretary Eliseo Rio, Jr.,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a press statement.

Roque said the Palace was thankful to Rio for his “invaluable services to the nation.”

“We wish him (Rio) well in all his future endeavors,” he said.

Rio on January 31 sent a letter to Duterte, informing the President of his decision to quit his post.

Earlier reports said he resigned due to a supposed conflict with other DICT officials.

Rio also questioned the grant and questionable allocation of multimillion-peso confidential funds of the agency.

The DICT had PHP400 million in confidential funds in 2019 and PHP800 million in 2020.

In February, Malacañang said Duterte would first let the Senate look into the controversial confidential funds appropriated to the DICT before ordering a possible presidential probe.

In the same month, Rio issued a joint statement with DICT Secretary Gregorio Honasan II, clarifying that the former’s resignation was “because of personal reasons, and not due to any rift with the Secretary, nor to any anomaly in the confidential fund.”

Rio, a licensed electronics and communications engineer, served as DICT Undersecretary for Operations prior to his resignation.

He also served as acting DICT secretary and led the bidding process for the country’s third major telecommunications player.

date_rangeDate Published
2 weeks ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Photo Courtesy of Twin Design / Shutterstock

Facebook labels media organizations

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

Facebook started labelling media organizations whose editorial calls may be under the influence of governments and said ads from those outlets would be blocked later this year. The social network is following through on a previously announced plan t...

Armed Forces of the Philippines chief-of-staff Lt. Gen. Felimon Santos, Jr. / PNA

Duterte lifts VFA abrogation 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

Officials from the Department of National Defense and Armed Forces of the Philippines are scheduled to meet with their American counterparts to talk about the outcome of the suspension of the abrogation of the Visiting Forces Agreement, AFP chief Gen...

Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)

81,000 OFWs receive cash aid 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

The Philippine Overseas Labor Offices (POLOs) in 40 foreign posts provided cash, food and medical assistance to 81,388 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) affected by the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic, according to the Department of Labor...

Returning OFWs still required to undergo quarantine

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

An Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) sub-task group said there would be no changes in the existing protocols for arriving passengers at Philippine airports. In an advisory shared on the Philippine ...

UP releases new guidelines 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD) issued their post-ECQ (enhanced community quarantine) guidelines. In a Facebook post, UPD said that details on Administrative Order No. FRN-20-052 can be seen at: https://upd.edu.ph/post-ecq/. The UP...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Taguig maintains 5.8-km bike lane Most Filipinos complain of lack of public transport Churches reopen door for masses DTI launches loan facility for small businesses 35,000 OFWs repatriated amid pandemic IATF pushes national ID implementation Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature