Articles worth reading

Pasay restores curfew hours of 8pm to 5am

account_balancePasay access_time5 days ago

The Pasay City Council had passed an ordinance setting the curfew hours in the city back to 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. after President Duterte once again placed Mega Manila under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) last Aug. 4.  According ...

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año

Año expects cases to decrease under MECQ 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año expressed confidence that the number of COVID-19 infections would decrease during the enforcement of the modified enhanced community quarantine in some areas, including Metro Manila. At the sidelines of an event...

Manila court denies activist’s plea to stay with her baby 

account_balanceManila access_time5 days ago

A Manila court has upheld its decision to deny the plea of a political prisoner to remain with her baby in the hospital or at least at the prison nursery until the latter turns one year old. Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 20 Presiding Judg...

Metro News

Photo Courtesy of REUTERS

Telcos given December deadline to Improve services

account_balanceMetro News account_circleGab Ocampo chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

The country’s two major telecommunication companies (telcos)  received President Rodrigo Duterte's warning to improve their services by December or risk getting shut down.

In his fifth state of the nation address (SONA) Monday, Duterte said he would take “drastic steps” against Globe Telecom Inc. and Smart Communications Inc., the wireless arm of PLDT Inc., if they do not improve by yearend.

“I call on our communication companies to improve their services lest we are forced to take drastic steps to address the less than ideal services that the public is getting from you,” he said.

He told the telcos not to make the public wait for “10 years” to experience the kind of service being enjoyed by other countries.

“If you are not ready to improve, I might just as well close all of you and we revert back to the line telephone. At kukunin ko ‘yan i-expropriate ko sa gobyerno (And I will get that, I will expropriate it),” he said.

Duterte claimed he would “articulate the anger of the Filipino people” for their lousy services.

“Tell us now if you cannot really improve on it because I will work by December. I have two years. The next two years will be spent improving the telecommunications of this country without you. I will find a way. I will talk to Congress and find a way how to do it,” he said.

Previously, Duterte hit the telco duopoly, which paved the way for the entry of a third telco player.

On July 8, 2019, Duterte awarded Mislatel Consortium, now Dito Telecommunity, the permit to operate as the Philippines’ third telco provider.

The corporation is a consortium led by Davao-based businessman Dennis Uy and composed of Uy’s Udenna Corporation, its subsidiary Chelsea Logistics, and China Telecommunications Corporation

In his fourth SONA, he vowed that the entry of the Dito Telecommunity is corruption-free.

Meanwhile, he also urged authorities to protect Filipinos’ data and privacy online and run after online scammers.

“We must continue to protect Filipinos in the new normal and remind the world that we are responsible stewards of data. I am committed to protect both the physical and digital lives of our law-abiding countrymen,” he said.

Amid the prevailing coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic, he urged government agencies to prioritize “paperless” transactions.


date_rangeDate Published
2 weeks ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Photo courtesy of: PAGASA

Southwest monsoon to bring more rain

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The southwest monsoon will bring more rain over most parts of Luzon on Tuesday. The rains will be light to moderate and at times heavy, said weather specialist Aldczar Aurelio of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services...

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP)

Business loans increase

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 hours ago

The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Incsaw an increase in the amount of bank loans extended to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) as well as large enterprises. In a statement, the increase in loans to enterprises is “in compliance w...

Gasoline prices to increase Tuesday 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

Pump prices of gasoline will increase Tuesday, while those of diesel and kerosene will be rolled back for the second consecutive week. In separate advisories, Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corp. and SEAOIL Philippines Inc. said they will increase prices...

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año

Año expects cases to decrease under MECQ 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año expressed confidence that the number of COVID-19 infections would decrease during the enforcement of the modified enhanced community quarantine in some areas, including Metro Manila. At the sidelines of an event...

Manila's virus testing centers continue operations 

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

The drive-thru and walk-in coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) testing centers in the city of Manila will remain operational during the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from August 4 to 18. Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno&rdqu...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Makati announces community vaccination drive Russia announces Covid-19 vaccine approval NCR records fewer virus cases under MECQ Angkas to give free rides for Manila health workers PhilHealth liquidates just 6.8% of Covid-19 payments MECQ extension highly unlikely Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature