Meralco suspends disconnection activities
Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) said it is suspending disconnection activities until the end of August, adding that this can be extended further to give more time for consumers to settle their outstanding obligations.
At a virtual briefing, Meralco spokesperson Joe Zaldarriaga said the company is currently focused on ensuring the stable electricity connection.
"We need to keep the lights on, we need to explain individually kung kinakailangang one-on-one sa mga tanong ng customers natin, so wala ho haming magiging ano mang disconnection in the next coming months," he said.
"Until the end of August ay wala kaming gagawing ano mang disconnection sa mga customers, so that this will give all consumers more time to understand the bill," he added.
Zaldarriaga earlier this month explained that the June bills will reflect the power consumption during the entire enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
Meralco then said that customers will have until June 30 to pay 25% of the bill, while the remaining 75% could be paid in installments -- a six-month payment plan for customers who consumed 200 kilowatts per hour or less last February, and a four-month plan for those who consumed more than 200 kWh.
Zaldarriaga said the company has been facing a number of complaints given the increase registered in the June bills, following the "bill shock" experienced in May.
"Ang ginagawa namin ay hina-handle na namin isa isa 'yung customers' concerns sa kanilang individual electricity bills. We will address and we vow to continue engaging all of our customers one on one," he said.
"It is definitely challenging. We will not deny that and we understand also that marami sa mga customers namin ay talagang marami pa ring tanong," he elaborated.
Moving forward, Zaldarriaga said Meralco will be "very, very considerate" in disconnection activities, which may be pushed even later than August 31.
"I think as we've mentioned, we will very considerate even after the August 31 period and if it even becomes extended further," he said.
A government housing project in Poblacion, Muntinlupa will be placed under a 24-hour curfew for 14 days amid an increase in the number of confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in the community. Barangay Poblacion Chairman Allen Ampaya...
Eleven individuals representing various sectors asked the Supreme Court (SC) to order the government to conduct free mass testing for COVID-19. Assisted by the National Union of Peoples' Lawyers (NUPL), the petitioners asked the highest Philippi...
The National Bureau of Investigation has filed "illegal detention" complaints against officials of a condominium in Quezon City for allegedly restraining in their unit three nurses who have been cleared of COVID-19. In a statement, the NBI...
The Office of Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea is reviewing the proposed Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Deputy Executive Secretary for Legal Affairs has forwarded its feedback to the Executive Secret...
The Philippines registered 1,494 new coronavirus infections on July 4, bringing the total to 41,830. Of the new positive cases, 403 are fresh while 1,091 are late cases or test results released to patients four days ago or more. The DOH said 1...