Articles worth reading
Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto

Pasig mayor promotes biking 

account_balancePasig access_time4 days ago

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto encouraged the public to consider biking as an alternative mode of transportation as part of the “new normal” in commuting. With Metro Manila now under general community quarantine (GCQ), some means of public ...

PNP resumes admin services on June 4 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Philippine National Police (PNP) will resume its frontline administrative functions and regulatory services such as processing of licenses, permits and clearances to the public on June 4. “This is in view of the expected public turnou...

25,000 OFWs return to hometowns

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) sent more than 25,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to their respective hometowns under the ‘Hatid Probinsya’ program. In a statement, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said a ...

Metro News

Light Rail Transit Authority

LRTA rules out arson in LRT 2 fire

account_balanceMetro News account_circleMichael Lim chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

The Light Rail Transit Authority said the state-run firm lacks a disaster recovery plan that would have been implemented to address emergencies such as the fire that hit a vital component of the LRT-2 and partially paralyzed the operation of the mass transport system.

Executives of the state-run mass transport system also admitted that there is a likelihood that the three shut down stations – Santolan, Katipunan and Anonas – may return to normal operations in less than nine months.

Further, LRTA officials said they are fully convinced that no arson was involved in the fire that damaged rectifiers that resulted in the closure of the three LRT stations and affected 200,000 commuters on a daily basis.

Bureau of Fire Protection probers informed the House panel that their ocular investigation of the burned property will end today, saying that the LRTA may start making their own assessment and investigation of the incident Thursday.

Grilled by members of the House Committee on Transportation during an inquiry into the October 3 fire, Federico Canar, LRT project engineer, said there is no contingency plan in place to swiftly put back the whole LRT2 system to normal operations.

Muntinlupa City Rep. Ruffy Biazon and other members of the House panel chaired by Samar Rep. Edgar Mary Sarmiento appeared dumbfounded by Canar’s confession.

Except for Administrator Reynaldo Berroya, all members of the LRTA management team appeared in the hearing.

Biazon and fellow congressmen said the lack of disaster recovery playbook makes the mass transit system in Metro Manila unreliable in the wake of the worsening traffic crisis that affects millions.

“You should have a disaster recovery plan. You should have a disaster recovery playbook.. I think it should be part of what management does for critical infrastructure,”  Biazon said.

Questioned by CWS partylist Rep. Romeo Momo, LRT officials aired the possibility that the wait for normalization may not reach nine months as previously announced.

Lawyer Hernando Cabrera, LRTA spokesman, revealed that the firm is in possession of nearly all of the components that are needed to be replaced to get the trains back to the tracks.

Canar disclosed that out of the 186 components of the rectifier, only 11 parts are missing in their current inventory.

“If you will replace a whole new rectifier, it will not run to nine months.  It’s too much of an assumption and I think you are playing safe but at the expense of the anxiety of the public,” Momo told LRTA officials.

Jimmy Chua, head of LRTA’s Safety and Security Division, said their engineers have not yet conducted a close inspection of the damaged rectifiers, thus, cannot give an intelligent assessment of how to repair them and determine what components to be purchased.

Officials assured lawmakers that no arson was involved, saying that a day prior to the fire a lightning storm occurred and hit the rectifiers.

They also noted that closed circuit television recording showed no signs of intrusion into the electrical terminals.

date_rangeDate Published
7 months ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Manila Mayor Francisco Isko Moreno Domagoso leads the groundbreaking of Tondominium 1 and 2 in Vitas, Tondo on Monday (June 1, 2020) / Manila PIO

Manila breaks ground for Tondo condo projects

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno Domagoso led the groundbreaking of the first in-city vertical housing project in Tondo under the #BuildBuildManila program. Domagoso took pride in the Tondominium 1 and 2 projects, worth nearly P1 bil...

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto

Pasig allows only essential travels 

account_balancePasig chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto said residents should only travel for essential purposes even as Metro Manila shifts to general community quarantine (GCQ). Sotto reminded his constituents that shifting to GCQ does not change any of the implemented ...

Navotas City restores truck ban  

account_balanceNavotas chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

Navotas City restored its truck ban, which was temporarily lifted while Metro Manila was under an enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). Ordinance No. 2015-02 imposes a ban on eight-wheeler trucks in certain areas, which the city council sees necessar...

Makati establishments asked to limit people in premises

account_balanceMakati chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Makati City Mayor Abigail Binay asked business and commercial establishments to allow limited persons in their premises even as the city shifts to the general community quarantine (GCQ).  In an advisory posted on her Twitter account, Binay prov...

San Juan ready to address more workers

account_balanceSan Juan chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

San Juan City is ready for the entry of more workers in the city under the general community quarantine (GCQ). This was according to Mayor Francis Zamora, who inspected police checkpoints, public transport terminals, and commercial areas in the city...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Manila allows tricycle operations Jobless Filipinos increase to 7.3 million Duterte warns online scammers Six new NCR bus routes launched Online system for quarantine certificates opens IATF allows reopening of hotels Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature