Articles worth reading

Leptospirosis cases surge after flood 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The increase in leptospirosis cases that followed a series of typhoons this month could become a medical crisis if Filipinos are not vigilant about their symptoms, Department of Health (DOH) Director IV Dr. Eric Tayag said in a report by GMA News. A...

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III / PCOO

DOLE clarifies rules on workers cash aid 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said documented and undocumented Filipino workers abroad or in the country would benefit from the Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP) program under the Bayanihan to Recover as One Act or Bayanihan 2, acc...

Filipino Filmmaker Erik Matti

Erik Matti to direct HBO Asia horror series 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Erik Matti will directs the Philippine episode of the HBO Asia's original horror anthology series titled "Folklore," WarnerMedia said in a report by GMA News. According to a press statement, Folklore season 2 is going to be a seve...

Metro News

Gov't eyes placing NCR under MGCQ 

account_balanceMetro News account_circleHannah Santos chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Metro Manila may be placed under the most lenient quarantine level in November if its residents observe health and safety protocols designed to contain COVID-19, according to a report by Philippine Star.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said the capital region’s virus reproductive or “r-naught” rate – which indicates how contagious COVID-19 is has improved.

“If we continue to wear face masks, wash our hands frequently and avoid crowded places, it’s possible,” Roque told radio station dzBB in Filipino last Saturday when asked whether it is possible for Metro Manila to be downgraded to the most lenient modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).

“Our r-naught rate is less than one percent. Before, it was very high. That means, the number of persons who catch the virus from positive cases is now lower than one. Maybe we can achieve that,” he added.

Roque said advertisements encouraging the public to observe health protocols have helped improve Metro Manila’s COVID-19 numbers.

Asked whether more people would be allowed to attend the traditional midnight masses, Roque said it would depend on an area’s attack rate and hospital bed capacity.

The holding of midnight masses, or simbang gabi, starts on Dec. 16 and ends on Dec. 24.

“If we see improvements, they can be downgraded to MGCQ,” Roque said.

“Most of the areas in the Philippines are now under MGCQ. Only Metro Manila and a few cities and provinces are under GCQ (general community quarantine). Placing more areas under MGCQ is not farfetched. With regard to Metro Manila, it depends on the compliance with wearing masks, frequent handwashing, and physical distancing,” he added.

Metro Manila, which accounts for more than a third of the Philippines’ economic output, remains the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the Philippines. More than half of the country’s 356,000 infections were reported in the capital region.
Cabinet Secretary and Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) vice chairman Karlo Nograles said it is too early to say whether Metro Manila would be placed under a more lenient quarantine classification. He, however, said it is not possible for the capital region to be downgraded to “new normal” from GCQ.

“If ever, it should transition first to MGCQ. In fact, we have not declared any area to be under ‘new normal.’ Let’s do it gradually,” Nograles said in a live online session last Saturday.

Nograles said the IATF may come up with a “soft” recommendation on quarantine classifications in the last week of October. The recommendation will then be submitted to President Duterte for approval.

“I cannot say whether I am confident that NCR (National Capital Region) can be downgraded to MGCQ. But the positivity rate, r-naught has gone down. It’s a balancing act,” the Cabinet official said.

Nograles said the government has been reopening the economy regardless of quarantine classification so more people can return to work.


date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Photo Courtesy of San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora

San Juan shortens curfew to 3 hours

account_balanceSan Juan chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

San Juan City Tuesday announced the shortened curfew hours that will be implemented in the city, according to a report by GMA News. In an advisory, San Juan government said curfew hours will be from 12 a.m. to 3 a.m. Frontline workers remain exempte...

Pasig to distribute Christmas food packs 

account_balancePasig chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

Pasig City will still distribute Christmas food packs to residents despite constraints due to the coronavirus pandemic, Mayor Vico Sotto said in a report by GMA News. The “Pamaskong Handog 2020” food packs will contain rice, noodles, and...

50,000 teens working as domestic workers

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

Nearly 50,000 Filipinos aged 18 and below are working as domestic workers (kasambahay) based on a survey of the National Wages and Productivity Commission (NWPC), according to a report by Philippine News Agency. “We noticed that there are...

The struggles in 2020 of the casino industry in the Philippines

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 months ago

Do you want to learn more about the challenges and predictions for the gambling industry in the Philippines? Find all answers in this article!

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Solar-powered bike pit stop opens in San Juan DOTr wont apprehend vehicles without RFID until Jan. 1Covid-19 cases in NCR on a decline Maynilad service interruption expected until Nov. 29PNP chapels to limit Simbang Gabi crowd to 30% All UP students likely to pass this semester About 6 million Filipinos register for national ID Expressways ready to enforce cashless transactions by Dec. 1 Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature