Articles worth reading
President Rodrigo Duterte

LGUs told to bring virus patients to hospitals

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

President Rodrigo Duterte asked local government officials to help coronavirus disease (Covid-19) patients by expediting their hospitalization without worrying about expenses. In a public address late Thursday night, Duterte asked them to assist Cov...

Las Piñas General Hospital and Satellite Trauma Center (LPGHSTC)

Las Piñas hospital up for upgrade 

account_balanceLas Piñas access_time5 days ago

The House of Representatives passed on third and final reading a bill filled by Las Piñas Rep. Camille Villar to increase the bed capacity of Las Piñas General Hospital and Satellite Trauma Center (LPGHSTC). Villar filed House Bill No....

Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM)

PLM wants free internet for poor students

account_balanceManila access_time5 days ago

The president of the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM) asked the government to install “massive” information technology to provide free access to internet and free computers to students and faculty, especially the poor. The statemen...

Metro News

 Health Secretary Francisco Duque III (left), and National Action Plan Against Covid-19 Chief Implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. (right), inspect the swab testing facility at the Palacio De Maynila along Roxas Boulevard, Manila on Tuesday (May 5, 2020) / PNA

Duque needed in Covid-19 response

account_balanceMetro News account_circleJake Cruz chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III is needed in the government's continuing fight against coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), according to Malacañang Palace.

The statement was issued even after Duque recently claimed that the country is now experiencing the second wave of Covid-19 cases, a pronouncement that had been opposed by Malacañang.

Despite Duque’s recent remarks, he still has to perform his duty as the country’s Health chief to address the Covid-19 outbreak, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.

“Secretary Duque will answer allegations in the proper forum but for now let us allow him to do his job during this global health emergency,” Roque said in a press statement.

Roque made the statement a day after the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) called for Duque’s resignation following the Health chief’s supposedly alarming claim that the country is already on the second wave of Covid-19 infections.

Roque said Duque continues to fulfill his mandate “at the pleasure” of President Rodrigo Duterte, especially amid the Covid-19 crisis.

“Secretary Francisco Duque III serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, in this challenging time,” he said.

Duque, in a hybrid Senate hearing on Wednesday, bared that the Philippines is “actually” on the second wave of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Duque’s pronouncement was backed up by Dr. John Wong, an epidemiology expert who is also part of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.

Wong said the second wave of Covid-19 infections peaked at the end of March.

However, Cabinet officials, including Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea and Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, refuted Duque’s claim.

Roque on Thursday also said that Duque’s interpretation of “waves” differed from other experts.

Roque said that while medical experts may have a different interpretation of scientific data, Palace relied more on other experts’ opinions that the country remains on the first wave.

Also on Thursday, Duque backtracked on his earlier pronouncement, saying that the Philippines is still in its “first major wave of sustained transmission” of Covid-19.

As of May 21, the Philippines has reported 13,434 Covid-19 infections, with 846 fatalities and 3,000 recoveries.

date_rangeDate Published
1 week ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno

Manila plans bikeway system 

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Manila is considering proposals to set up bike lanes in the city’s thoroughfares amid restrictions on public transportation during the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) and general community quarantine (GCQ). In his city address on...

PGA player encourages home virus tests 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

While COVID-19 testing will be a condition of competition when the PGA Tour resumes next week, at-home tests before travelling to a tournament are "strongly encouraged" but not required, according to a report by Reuters. The 34-page guide ...

Manila Mayor Francisco Isko Moreno Domagoso leads the groundbreaking of Tondominium 1 and 2 in Vitas, Tondo on Monday (June 1, 2020) / Manila PIO

Manila breaks ground for Tondo condo projects

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno Domagoso led the groundbreaking of the first in-city vertical housing project in Tondo under the #BuildBuildManila program. Domagoso took pride in the Tondominium 1 and 2 projects, worth nearly P1 bil...

PNP chief, Gen. Archie Gamboa / PNA

PNP to adjust full alert status 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The Philippine National Police (PNP) will study whether to downgrade the full alert status as the country shifts into a more relaxed general community quarantine (GCQ) amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic. "Hindi pa nada-downgr...

Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) heading to their hometowns after completing mandatory quarantine queue at the departure area of Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 2 during a send-off on Tuesday (May 26, 2020) / PNA

42,000 more OFWs expected to return

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

The government vowed to expedite the repatriation of 42,000 migrant workers next month as several thousands remain stranded in quarantine centers. The workers are heading back to the country following the suspension or end of their contracts over th...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Marikina to conduct targetted testing CAB won't allow domestic flights in first week of June DPWH to set up bike lanes on EDSA Gov't calls for cooperation under GCQ Pasig frontliners undergo mass testing 'Back-riding' still prohibited in GCQ areas Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature