Articles worth reading

Oil firms hike gasoline prices, cut cost of diesel 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

Oil companies adjusted petroleum prices on Tuesday, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. In separate advisories, Caltex, Cleanfuel, Petro Gazz, PTT Philippines, Seaoil, Shell, and Unioil said they will hike gasoline prices by PHP3.95 per...

No Honeymoon

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

There’s frenzied activities in the political arena. There’s the proclamation of LGU winners, followed by the top 12 senatorial candidates, who will be sitting in the 19th Congress. And amidst the petition to cancel the certificate of can...

House ratifies anti-sexual abuse bill 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

The House of Representatives on Monday ratified a bicameral conference committee report on a bill seeking to prohibit all forms of sexual abuse or exploitation of children, either online or offline, according to a report by Philippine News Agenc...

Metro News

Comelec dismisses petition to revoke Marcos candidacy 

account_balanceMetro News account_circleMalaya chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Another case seeking to revoke the candidacy of presidential aspirant Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. has been junked by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), according to a report by Philippine News Agency.

This, as the poll body's Second Division has unanimously denied the petition filed by Fr. Christian Buenafe, among others, to cancel the certificate of candidacy (COC) of Marcos for lack of merit.

Advertisement

"Wherefore, premises considered, the instant Petition is hereby denied for lack of merit," said a part of the 32-page ruling penned by Presiding Commissioner Socorro Inting promulgated on Monday.

The decision said Marcos did not mislead and deceive the public when he claimed in his COC that he is eligible to run for public office and that he has not been found liable for an offense that merits perpetual disqualification.

"It is clear therefore that when the Respondent replied 'No' to the question in Item No. 22 of his COC, he did so without any intention to mislead, misinform, or hide a fact, which would otherwise render him ineligible. When Respondent answered 'No' to the question in Item No. 22, it was precisely because he had no basis at all to answer in the affirmative. To the best of Respondent's knowledge, what with decades of public service tucked under his belt, be honestly thought or believed that he has never been disqualified from holding public office," the poll body said.

"Similarly, when the Respondent signed and subscribed to his COC, which contains the declaration in Item No. 11 that he is eligible for President, he again did so without any intention to mislead, misinform, or hide a fact, which would otherwise render him ineligible. As previously discussed, there is nothing in the CA Decision dated 31 October 1997 that would have categorically apprised herein Respondent that he is suffering from any ineligibility," it added.

The petitioners asked to cancel the COC of Marcos in November last year, claiming that he committed false material representation when he stated in his COC that he is eligible to run for President despite his earlier conviction for not filing income tax returns from 1982 to 1985.

As for petitioners' argument on the tax evasion cases of Marcos as being a crime involving moral turpitude, the poll body cited an earlier decision of the Supreme Court categorically stating that failure to file an income tax return is not a crime involving moral turpitude.

"Hence, Petitioners contention that Respondent has been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude is completely false. Therefore, when Respondent declared under oath that he is eligible for the position of President, he was telling the truth," it added.

On the other hand, lawyer Theodore Te, legal counsel of the petitioners said they will appeal the decision before the Comelec en banc.

Advertisement

"Petitioners disagree with the Comelec in its ruling, among others, that the material representations made were not false and will seek reconsideration of the Resolution with the Commission en banc within the five-day period provided under the Comelec Rules," he said in a statement.

Meanwhile, lawyer Vic Rodriguez, Marcos' chief of staff, said they welcome the poll body's decision.

“We thank the Commission on Elections for upholding the law and the right of every bona fide candidate like Bongbong Marcos to run for public office free from any form of harassment and discrimination. After granting the petitioners’ right to have their day in court where their case was fully heard and ventilated, the Comelec has unanimously spoken -- the petition to cancel the certificate of candidacy of Bongbong Marcos was denied,” he said in a statement.

Rodriguez also said they are extending their "hand of unity even to the fiercest of the adversary" and urged them to help ensure a clean, fair and credible elections.

Malacañang, meanwhile, said it respects the Comelec’s decision.

“Comelec is an independent constitutional body. We respect the independence of the Comelec,” acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles said in a press statement.

The other members of the Second Division are Commissioners Antonio Kho and Rey Bulay.

Earlier, the petition filed by Danilo Lihaylihay to declare the former senator as a nuisance candidate was also denied.

There are still five petitions against Marcos which are pending before the poll body. 


date_rangeDate Published
4 months ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

The delegates from Bangladesh led by Joint Secretary of the Department of Disaster Management Nischchinta Kumar Podder (sitting, 4th from left) and SSS officials who were part of the team for the study visit led by SSS Executive Vice President for the Investments Sector Rizaldy T. Capulong (sitting, 5th from left).

SSS welcomes delegates from Bangladesh 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The Social Security System (SSS) on Tuesday welcomed 11 delegates from the various government agencies of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh who are conducting a study visit in the Philippines. In his welcome message, SSS President and CEO Mi...

Makati mayor asks residents to get 2nd booster shots

account_balanceMakati chrome_reader_mode4 days ago

Makati City Mayor Abby Binay urged the public to get their 2nd Covid-19 booster shot amid the entry of the much more transmissible Omicron BA.4 variant in the country, according to a report by Manila Bulletin. On May 21, the Department of Health (DO...

An electron microscopic image shows the oval-shaped monkeypox virus particles / Photo Courtesy: Reuters

NTF won't close border over monkeypox 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

The Philippines continues to monitor the outbreak of monkeypox overseas but the closure of borders is still unlikely, the special adviser against the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) said in a report by Philippine News Agency. In a “Laging ...

Mandaluyong holds meeting to improve children 

account_balanceMandaluyong chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

The Mandaluyong City local government had a meeting on Wednesday, May 25, with stakeholders to discuss various programs and initiatives that will improve the lives of its citizens, particularly the youth, according to a report by Manila Bulletin...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature