Articles worth reading
A demonstration of the contact tracing application TraceTogether, at the Ministry of Communications and Information, on March 20, 2020. / Photo Courtesy CHONG JUN LIANG

PH eyes Singapore's contact tracing app

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), in coordination with the Department of Health (DOH) and other government agencies, is looking into Singapore-based app ‘TraceTogether’ as one of the potential tools in ad...

Comelec ID not required for gov't aid

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said a voter’s identification card (ID) is not required to receive aid from the government during the enhanced community quarantine. Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said the DILG has made the announceme...

President Rodrigo Duterte

Duterte recognizes Robredo's Covid-19 initiative 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

President Rodrigo Duterte asks everyone to help his government address the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). Duterte expressed appreciation to Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo for taking the initiative to provide assist...

Metro News

Colmenares asks Meralco to waive power bill

account_balanceMetro chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Bayan Muna chairman Neri Colmenares asked Manila Electric Company (Meralco) to waive this month’s power bill to consumers and charge it to the P30-billion refund for millions of its consumers.

He issued the call after citing Meralco’s move as well as that of other public utility operators like Manila Water Company and Maynilad Water Services to defer their bill collection for a month.

With the situation brought about by coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, millions of workers, especially the ‘no work, no pay’ kind, are mandated to stay in their homes and are unable to work during the month-long enhanced community quarantine imposed by the government in Luzon.

These workers are groping for finances to feed their families during the quarantine.

However, Colmenares said “it would be better if these utilities, especially Meralco, altogether waive their collections for this month. Besides Meralco has to refund P29.6 billion for over-recovery of allowed annual distribution charges to consumers from 2013 to 2018.”

Late last year, Bayan Muna said Matuwid na Singil sa Kuryente (MSK) filed a petition with the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) for the P29.6 billion refund.

“We hope that Meralco would heed our call and be considerate of the millions of Filipinos who cannot work because of COVID-19,” Colmenares said.

date_rangeDate Published
2 weeks ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

PNP deputy chief for operations, Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar

PNP summons more than 77,000 quarantine violators

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

The Philippine National Police said there were 77,776 violators of the guidelines of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) as of April 2. Based on data from March 17 to April 2 provided by Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, PNP deputy chief for operation...

DTI to enforce 30-day grade period on rent 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) released Memorandum Circular (MC) No. 20-12, Series of 2020 on 4 April 2020 granting a 30-day grace period for residential rent as well as a similar grace period for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSM...

Senator Christopher Lawrence

Bong Go proposes financial aid to LGUs

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go proposed a one-time ‘Bayanihan’ financial aid to cities and municipalities to help them respond to the needs of their constituents amid the Covid-19 health emergency. “Tulungan dap...

Senator Panfilo Lacson / pinglacson.net

Lacson pushes investigation on Quezon City riot

account_balanceQuezon City chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Senator Panfilo Lacson asked for an investigation on the real “motives” behind the mass protest action that was supposedly staged by members of an urban poor group in Quezon City to demand food and other assistance from the government. &...

DOH launches hotline for free medical consultations

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

Metro Manila residents are encouraged to avail of free medical consultation through a 24/7 hotline, according to the Department of Health (DOH). They may contact 02-8424-1724 for COVID-19 medical advice and health concerns unrelated to the virus, ...

DPWH Secretary Mark Villar

Gov't eyes more Covid-19 facilities

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 days ago

The government is looking at more venues in Metro Manila as facilities for coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) patients.  Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Mark Villar said this is aside from the Rizal Memorial ...

Advertisement

×
Covid-19 tests to be free for Marikina residents Gov't to resolve data on cash aid beneficiaries Banks vow to remain open amid extended Luzon ECQ DOH launches hotline for free medical consultations Borrowers get another 30-day grace period NEDA chief proposes modified ‘lockdown’ Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature