Articles worth reading
Sen. Panfilo Lacson

UN official slams anti-terror bill 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

Sen. Panfilo Lacson criticized a United Nations official who advocated against his Anti-Terror Bill, alleging that the body's Commissioner for Human Rights did not read the actual measure. Earlier this week, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights...

Photo Courtesy of Amazon Studios twitter

'Fallout' TV series to be shown at Amazon Prime 

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

A television series based on popular game franchise "Fallout" is in the works. According to reports, Amazon Studios has licensed the rights to the games and tapped "Westworld" creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy to helm the show...

NAIA Terminal 2 / Wikipedia

NAIA receives 2,000 new chairs

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time5 days ago

The Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) received 2,000 chairs on Thursday for distribution at Terminals 2 and 3. Consuelo Bungag, Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) Public Affairs Department's officer-in-charge, told the Ph...

Metro News

200,000 displaced OFWs refuse to return to PH

account_balanceMetro News account_circleHannah Santos chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

More than half of the 351,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) affected by the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic do not want to return home, according to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

“Almost 200,000 of them don’t want to come home. They would rather stay there especially coming from America, Europe, Rome, Madrid, United Kingdom,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said in a Palace press briefing.

He said a total of 351,161 OFWs in many parts of the world were displaced by the pandemic.

“In other words, they were terminated from their work, they are no longer employed or they continue to be employed but they cannot report to work because of lockdown so no work, no pay. They are still considered as displaced,” he added.

Meanwhile, Bello added that some 95,000 of them would want to return home.

Of the total number of displaced workers, 2,390 were recorded to have been affected by Covid-19, with 72 deaths. A total of 678 Filipinos have recovered and 1,678 are active cases.

At the same time, Bello said of the 42,000 OFWs expected to be repatriated to the country last May and this month, only 16,679 will be allowed to go home after completing their papers.

“The 16,000-plus Filipino workers were able to secure or complete the necessary documents such as the iqama or exit visa, clearances from their employers, departure tickets,” he added.

date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

DA stops importing China pork 

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 week ago

The Department of Agriculture (DA) said the Philippines does not import swine or pork products from China. DA Assistant Secretary Noel Reyes made the statement following reports that Chinese researchers have discovered a new type of swine flu that i...

Pasay opens tents for stranded passengers

account_balancePasay chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

Pasay City opened more rooms at the Villamor Airbase Elementary School (VABES) and set up tents at the school premises to accommodate locally stranded individuals (LSIs) whose number increased anew at the vicinity of the Ninoy Aquino Internation...

Gov't to help 5,000 stranded individuals return to home provinces

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

The government aims to help more than 5,000 locally stranded individuals (LSIs) go back to their respective provinces under the Hatid Tulong Program, Presidential Management Staff (PMS) Assistant Secretary Joseph Encabo said on Saturday. Encabo, in-...

Photo Courtesy of PNA

Police deplyed at Hatid Tulong drop-off points

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode3 days ago

Philippine National Police chief Police General Archie Francisco Gamboa ordered the deployment of police personnel at drop-off points of the Hatid Tulong Program. Interviewed on Dobol B sa News TV on Sunday, PNP Deputy Chief for Operations Poli...

PH has second highest virus cases in ASEAN

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode5 hours ago

The government will allow local government units (LGUs) to impose localized lockdowns to enforce minimum health standards amid the daily rapid increase in the number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infections. Presidential spokesman Harry Roq...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Caloocan shortens curfew hours Six areas in NCR, Cebu register virus spikes Number coding remains suspended Senators propose ‘junk food’ tax COVID-19 cases rise on easing of restrictions Critics free to question anti-terror law Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature