Articles worth reading

Metro News

Cebu raises budget for 'Sugbo Negosyo' program 

account_balanceMetro News account_circleNoah James chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

The Cebu provincial government is allotting another P100-million budget for the second round of the Sugbo Negosyo, a program that gives much-needed capital to small entrepreneurs in the province, according to a report by Philippine News Agency.

The program will have additional 13 partner merchants for the next rollout of the micro-business assistance program.

The new merchants are joining the program on top of the existing 34 that have supported its first rollout last year.

Advertisement

The Capitol formally signed on Wednesday a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the new partner companies and officials of the Mandaue Chamber of Commerce and Industry, led by its president Steven Yu.

Governor Gwendolyn Garcia cited the success of the first round of the Sugbo Negosyo, which benefited over 8,000 entrepreneurs around the province.

“We aspire for a program that would help the Cebuanos help themselves,” she said during the MOA signing at the Capitol Social Hall.

More partner merchants will mean that beneficiaries of the second round will have more choices of retailers who will supply the requirements –products and services– for their chosen enterprises.

The new partner firms include Akai Foods Inc., Asian Home Appliance, Atlas Cebu Corn Mill Corp., Agri Bounty Distribution Inc., Charoen Pokphand Foods Philippines Corp., Gaisano Brothers Inc., Gaisano Grand, Jacobs Basic First Venture, Uratex, Pacifica Agrivet, Prince Warehouse Inc., SM Appliance Center, and Visayan Educational Supply.

Garcia wants the Sugbo Negosyo to be a sustainable program for the small Cebuano entrepreneurs as the province continues to recover from the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

“The spirit of the Cebuanos is unbreakable,” she said, adding the essence of Sugbo Negosyo is capacitating entrepreneurs to build and sustain their enterprises by giving them the much-needed capital and not a mere dole out. 

Garcia believes in the ability of the Cebuanos to rise against the challenges brought about by the pandemic. 

She recalled it was a “leap of faith” when the provincial government launched the program last September with MCCI and the Department of Trade and Industry amid the “backdrop of economic devastation” when restrictions gripped the entire province and the country. 

Earlier, the Cebu Provincial Board (PB) authorized Garcia to enter into a MOA signing with the partner merchants of the Sugbo Negosyo, which is being implemented through the offices of the 17 PB members and the Office of the Vice Governor.


date_rangeDate Published
2 months ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

DTI Secretary Ramon Lopez

PH pursues innovation programs

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Secretary Ramon Lopez said on Tuesday the government will continue its programs and introduce policies to drive innovation in the country, according to a report by Philippine News Agency. In a virtual presser o...

Photo courtesy of TPB Philippines

Hybrid world tourism summit to be held in PH

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The Philippines is set to host the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) Global Summit in March 2022, the Department of Tourism (DOT) official said in a report by Philippine News Agency. The event was supposed to be held in the Philippines ...

Caloocan issues ‘fully vaxxed’ certificates

account_balanceCaloocan chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Caloocan has started providing “Fully Vaxxed” certifications to establishments in the city whose employees are 100 percent fully-vaccinated, according to a report by Daily Tribune. Mayor Oca Malapitan said the initiative will encourage b...

ADB reduces Asia growth forecast

account_balanceMetro Manila chrome_reader_mode1 day ago

The Asian Development Bank warned of "lasting scars" from the coronavirus pandemic as it cut its 2021 growth forecast for developing Asia on slow vaccination rates, surging infections and crippling lockdowns, according to a report by Agence...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Quezon City adopts no contact apprehension system Red Cross pushes saliva test Vaccines from COVAX to arrive in Q1 Makati Shangri-La to close doors on Feb. 1 Cities in NCR to start vaccination simultaneously Mother, girlfriend of Filipino infected with UK variant also test positive Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature